Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So my Mom is moving from South Dakota to Denver. She owns a 94 Legacy Wagon AWD LS automatic with 154k miles. She wants to know if she can have the car flat towed. In other words, a tow bar attached to the front end, and then pulled behind another vehicle. Or, can she have it towed on a tow dolly.

I am familiar with the older GL's and brats, and the 2000 and newer, but I am not really familiar with the legacys.

the owners manual will delineate this for her, tell her to check that out. this is also covered extensively on here if you want to search. those questions have already been answered numerous times. the EJ (impreza/legacy) stuff is essentially all the same. even EA's with the 4EAT, all the automatics are nearly identical in principle and towing stuff is the same.

i wouldn't flat tow it personally, unless the manual says otherwise, i'm sure someone here will comment. as for the tow dolly, you would have to disconnect the rear driveshaft which is really simple. it's only 4 12mm nuts and it drops off. though on some EJ vehicles there's a cover plate to remove first, but that's easy as well (and then i don't reinstall it!).

another way to tow an automatic on a dolly is to put the FWD fuse in and leave the car running while you're towing. cars needs to be on to power the FWD circuit and have fluid moving. but i only do that for short distance, wouldn't work for her.