Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Would a 98 subaru 2.2liter drop into a 1999 legacy sus?

speed_ga

Ok i'm going through a rough time right now. I just got laid off and my head gaskets are leaking and my car overheats because of it. I don't have the money to get the heads machined and to replace my head gaskets.

I have a person who is planning on swapping his 2.2liter for a wrx engine. He is willing to give me the 2.2liter for next to nothing.

I also have enough people to do the swap at a get together.

the 2.2 liter is from a 1998 subaru which is currently running w/ no problems. I have a 1999 subaru legacy SUS with a automatic transmission with a ej25(2.5 liter).

I know I will loose some power doing this swap...but getting the car running again is my main concern in my current situation.

Basically before I go through with this swap...I need to know if this will be a straight drop in. Will the wiring harness and everything interchange properly?

the EJ22 will plug right into and run perfectly fine.

remove EJ25 - install EJ22, it's that simple.

The only thing extra you will need is an EJ22 single port (1996-1998) exhaust manifold. good news is that it bolts right up to your existing EJ25 exhaust, so it's simple enough to do. The EJ25 is dual port exhaust and won't bolt to the EJ22. But the Ej22 manifold will bolt right into your legacy just fine.

you'll want to make sure the EJ22 has an EGR set up on it (which your EJ25 will have). almost %100 of 1998 EJ22's have an EGR set up so it sholud'nt be an issue. but i've seen rare late 90's EJ22's without EGR (and one was an automatic??). so just double check.

even still, i use the non-EGR EJ22's if i can find them, because i hate EGR stuff. it just causes the check engine light to come on because it's not there but runs fine. most people find it annoying, i don't care and neither does the state i live in!

The only thing extra you will need is an EJ22 single port (1996-1998) exhaust manifold. good news is that it bolts right up to your existing EJ25 exhaust, so it's simple enough to do. The EJ25 is dual port exhaust and won't bolt to the EJ22. But the Ej22 manifold will bolt right into your legacy just fine.

you'll want to make sure the EJ22 has an EGR set up on it (which your EJ25 will have). almost %100 of 1998 EJ22's have an EGR set up so it sholud'nt be an issue. but i've seen rare late 90's EJ22's without EGR (and one was an automatic??). so just double check.

even still, i use the non-EGR EJ22's if i can find them, because i hate EGR stuff. it just causes the check engine light to come on because it's not there but runs fine. most people find it annoying, i don't care and neither does the state i live in!

thanks alot for the information!

Is this the same for a EJ25 in a 00 or 01 outback 5 speed? That its backwards compatible to a 98 EJ22?

right, what he said. i'll add that the 99+ forester also has the Phase II EJ25 and all 00+ legacy's. Those are different beasts and slapping the earlier Ej22's in them isn't for the faint of heart.

Although the newer gen EJ22's can be slapped in, but the rules for that game are all different and newer EJ22's are hard to find.

^^this guy knows his stuff^^

i only add that the flexplate for the 2.5 is different from a 2.2, so you need to reuse your 2.5 flexplate. and only auto 2.2 cars have the EGR until 98 when most of them have them.

• 2 weeks later...

ok I had the swap done over the weekend and everything worked out great.

I did receive a 2.2 without a egr. So my check engine light is on. I want to do the resistor mod...but I can't seem to locate the plug that I need to put the 10ohm 1/2 watt resister in.... Can anyone give me a tip?

I would just deal with the light...but my town has a emissions thing that if it's on...then it's a automatic fail.

i'd have the codes read first just to make sure which ones are present. did you do that?

the EJ22 without EGR will not have an EGR plug because it doesn't have EGR. so you'll need a wiring diagram to show you where the pinout is on the engine harness.

how does the EJ22 drive in the SUS? how does the transmission shift?

i'd have the codes read first just to make sure which ones are present. did you do that?

the EJ22 without EGR will not have an EGR plug because it doesn't have EGR. so you'll need a wiring diagram to show you where the pinout is on the engine harness.

how does the EJ22 drive in the SUS? how does the transmission shift?

ok thanks I will have the codes ran before I do that.

The EJ22 drives really well in the SUS. I didn't notice much of a power difference at all. The automatic transmission shifts just like normal. I've had a 1990, 1995, and now a 1999 subaru legacy and they all shift about the same.