Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sadly, I totaled my beloved 95 Legacy L wagon last week. I'm pretty sure I want to move to an OBW this time. Since the dealers are desperate to sell, there are several 01-03 OBWs for sale in the area with 60-70K on them in the $10K range.

Are there any caveats to watch for in those 2nd Gen OBs?

Or, would I be better off looking for a late 1st gen (98-99) with faily low mileage

Any thoughts or advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Make sure the headgaskets are done. I just bought an 01 Forester and the dealer did the head gaskets as part of the deal. Which is to say...I told them I wouldn't do the deal unless the headgaskets were either done in their shop prior to delivery or there was evidence that they had been done recently. Also, make sure the timing belt is good. That should be covered in the mechanical/safety inspection anyway, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

That's all I know to look for that is specific to this type and vintage of vehicle. Of course, all the usual stuff applies. Rust, all the electronics work, dents, etc.

Make sure the headgaskets are done. I just bought an 01 Forester and the dealer did the head gaskets as part of the deal. Which is to say...I told them I wouldn't do the deal unless the headgaskets were either done in their shop prior to delivery or there was evidence that they had been done recently. Also, make sure the timing belt is good. That should be covered in the mechanical/safety inspection anyway, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

That's all I know to look for that is specific to this type and vintage of vehicle. Of course, all the usual stuff applies. Rust, all the electronics work, dents, etc.

How many miles were on the 01?

Get something with the newer Phase II EJ25 which means 99+ Forester and 00+ Legacy/OBW's.

Or better yet just get an H6, even better.

The Phase II EJ25's are better motors.

Certain years have an extended 100,000 mile 8 year head gasket warranty, but i'm not sure what years that applies to and it's about to run out.

Check for torque bind, one owner vehicles are nice.

Personally I'll buy from a private party all day long before a dealer. Known service history verses no known service history and no clue why the person got rid of the car. Good, newer cars like this are very easy to find from well maintained, honest one owner persons.

How many miles were on the 01?

125K. 8 kilo-dollars out the door.

I'll be adding a trans cooler sometime in spring. I'll also be converting to a dual-head remote filter oil system.

As near as I can tell, the cars to have are the 04 and up EJ25 cars. The 99-03 EJ25's are the ones with the head gasket problems. As I understand it, though, there is a revised head gasket design that makes the problem go away. If so, then once the head gaskets have been done, no worries.