Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Inconsistent idling problem

So here is the latest problem with my 81 Brat. The car starts great and idles most of the time. After driving it for a while (lately around 10 minutes) it will start not idling at all so the car dies at stop signs and any time you engage the clutch and let off the gas. However, the car starts right up after this. The problem has gotten progressively worse over the last few months. Now it is getting to the point where it very rarely idles after running for a bit. Any ideas on what is causing this? This forum has kept the Brat on the road the last few years, I really appreciate the help.

So the problem went away for a day and now it is back. The cap and rotor still look good. It idles fine for about the first five minutes and then it wont idle at all. I replaced spark plugs and wires today but it didnt change anything. I dont have a light but I will try and get a hold of one to check it.

I put a timing light on it today and the light was consistent but every second or so it would miss. I have never messed with a timing light before so Im not sure if it is suppose to be a consistent cadence or if that missing is a sign that something is up. When the light was consistent it was hitting at around 12.

Heck its easy, well within the scope of an amateur mechanic. The kits even come with instructions. One thing that the kts don't tell you is that some of the gsaket surfaces warp, especially the ones by the fiber spacer. Sometimes they need to be resurfaced, but this is easy and can be accomplished with a nice long file.

Trust me. Your problem sounds soo identical to what I just went through. And I wound up troubleshooting and inspecting everything else before I addressed the carb. And now its a whole new machine. Its never run better.

• 3 weeks later...

I too can report a similar experience with poor idle and a bad miss at constant speed in my 81 brat.

Just last week, replaced carb with weber i had rebuilt and boy what a difference! My problems did not entirely go away however and this lead me to discover the Dizzy was completely worn out (lots of side to side movement). i have now installed a rebuilt dizzy (as well as cap and rotor) and can not believe how much performance has improved in all ways.

Install of carb not a big deal if you take your time.