Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru 1400 head question

*shrugs* eh.....

Its not really an issue of "realigning" in my opinion, but rather being able to properly clean the surface.

It wont take more than an hour to get the motor out of there anyway, and while its out you can toss on a new oil pan gasket and main seals. I have done an ea71 (1600, but pretty much the same) head gasket with the motor in the car, and honestly I didn't save myself any time doing it that way. Be prepared to deal with the head studs being stuck in the block btw. The best tool I have found for removing head studs is this universal chuck looking thing that is awesome because you can use it with an impact wrench. I know cal-tool sells it but I dont have the part number on hand.

MAY29895.jpg

-Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know if this is too old to bump, but the title just caught my eye. I was faced with a similar question a while back with my EA71. The only real option is to pull the motor.

Once out, I realized I never would have gotten the heads off any other way. The studs were so loaded up with crud, the heads were completetly stuck on there. I had to soak the studs with PB blaster and then work them off by moving them out a little bit, pushing them back in, cleaning the gunk off the studs, then doing it all over again 100 times. It took a very long time and would have been impossible if the engine was still in the car.

And as everyone here will tell you again and again, removing the motor is nothing to be scared of. You and a friend can lift it out in a matter of an hour with a little planning.