Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Recommendations on tires for 2006 Outback?

I'm jumping in on an old thread, with an even older member...was off-line for the last few years. I have strong opinions about tires, as we are skiers and get up to the (Snoqualmie) pass and Crystal frequently during the winter. Just bought an 04' Outback with some road tires that start with a Z...Ziertex? Never heard of them, but they look like they will go another 40k for summer driving...I would not take them up to the pass though...seem kind of squirrely in the wet stuff. We also have a 93' Legacy Wagon that we run Toyo Observe Stud-less during the winter. If you are going to hit the mountains (snow) a lot, I would recommend a seperate set of tires, as no tire seems to do it all.

That said, our summer tire on the Legacy was a Goodyear Triple Tread and I think it did a decent job for all-weather, in fact, I got 70k out of them, and I could probably run them for another 10k this summer. Good tires....

For our Outback, I am looking at swapping tires next winter for skiing (or finding a set of rims and having new winter tires mounted) but I like the sounds of the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D's. If they are as quiet as they say, I might consider running them year round.

Please, let us know how your choice worked out...tire choices are like...well, you know, everyone has one. :grin:

The Dunlop SP50's are doing OK.

I'll have another shot at their snow capability on Monday. We're expecting 5"-10" overnight Sunday into Monday AM with near blizzard conditions. :eek: Sounds like real fun !

~Howard

:banana:

I know this is an older thread, but seems like an appropriate place for this post. We have 13,3xx on our 08 Outback and the rear Potenzas are SHOT!! less then 3/32nds left on them. I have an appointment on Monday at the Bridgstone dealer to see if they are going to do anything for us. I have a funny feeling I will be putting GY ATT on in a couple of days. Absolutely SUCKS to have to spend somewhere in the $700 range because of crappy Bridgstones:mad::mad::mad: Thanks for letting me vent, Tim

Just an update. I just bought four GY ATTs from Tire Rack.com. Should be here in a week or so. The Subbie dealer hooked me up with a mounting deal. $10 a piece and that includes free rotation and flat repair. That should cover the documentation needed if the tyres don't make 80K. Later, tim

• 2 weeks later...

Our Michelin HydroEdge did a fine job getting across the North Cascades to our cabin near Mazama WA, which includes a steep mile-long snow and ice driveway. No problems with snow traction. Good tire and should last a long time. Car handles well and pretty quiet.

We paid $146 each, mounting included, at Discount tire. I'll give updates as they roll along... car is already at 73k, so if these things last like they supposed to the next set of tires will see the odo over 120k! The treadware warranty is 90k and I know they won't get that far, but should do better than most.

I just had to GY ATTs put on today along with an alignment. I took them part way through town and the rest of the way on the interstate. I didn't notice any discerable difference in road noise and they have what I would call a more "confident" feel on the road. Once I get a few miles on them I'll let you all know how they are doin. Oh, and if we get some more snow I'd like to see how they handle that. Later, tim