Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone else ever have a cam bearing fail and seize the camshaft? If so, what could be the cause?

Technically there is no bearing on the cam shafts. They just ride in the aluminum of the head.

I would venture a guess though that if the cam was ever taken out for something like a head gasket job, and the bolt on the cam caps weren't torqued correctly you could eventually have an issue. Just a guess though since I've never seen it happen.

Keith

Has it been really, really cold where you are located? Are you using higher viscosity oil than recommended by Subaru for your car? If so, this may be the same thing I warned about in a couple earlier posts, ALL based on experience with Nissan engines.. thicker oil than prescribed in extreme cold temps WILL do exactly what you describe to a Nissan engine, Ive seen it first hand. And the camshaft in aluminum head is the same setup as in a Subaru. Im not saying this is what happened, I always bow to the more experienced Subie guys here.

thanks to both of you for your comments. After looking at the worn cam bearing with the shop mechanic, it was probably caused by running the engine with low and dirty oil. the one time I miss an oil change and it bites me on the backside...........an expensive reminder to keep up those regular oil changes especially in the higher mileage years of a vehicle. Still, it's curious that only one bearing seems to have been affected. All the others showed no signs of wear.

Joe