Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I had my timing belt replaced at 59K when the engine leak/ head gasket problem was corrected under warranty. That was 5 years ago. I saw a reference in this site to replacing the timing belt after 5 years. Is it 5 years or 105K? Also, I still have the original water pump. So, should both timing belt and water pump be done at the 105K service?

The interval is 105K miles/105 months. Some folks on this forum report that they're holding up well beyond 105K miles, but in my experience, they can go at any time above 100K miles. That said, I had one last over 200K miles on a Jeep.

In your case, I would wait until the water pump shows some symptoms of failing before doing the t-belt/water pump and ancillaries. Did they replace the accessory belts at 59K? Those are easy to replace and close to the end of their service life by 105K miles.

it's a 105k belt, so you don't have to change it at 105k, nor do i think 5 years. i don't think the owners manual says 5 years, you should check it.

make sure the belt was indeed changed (not a serpentine belt or something).

personally i'd wait until 130k-150k to do the timing belt again. and then when you do replace the belt, water pump, and all of the timing belt pulleys.

on EJ engines i personally think the pulleys are more prone to failure than the water pumps. if either one goes you toast your interference engine though, so best to replace it all at the same time.

ebay may be the only reasonably priced source for those pulleys. a set of subaru pulleys is probably $600 or more.