Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Loyale ?

Hi all,

I got a quick ? if anyone can help itd be great.

Ive got a 92 Loyale wagon 4x4 Ive been workin on for a while.

The timing belt busted a while ago and I just now got the timing right but

it only turns to a point and then locks up. My ? is are there any other year/model engines I can look for that wouldnt be a nightmare to swap out?

really dont want to tear this one down again but cant afford much either.

Any insite, or advise would be awesome. Thanks

:confused:

What turns to a point then locks up?? The distributor? The distributor can be pulled out and rotated a bit, then put back in to give you more advance/retard. But, if you have to do that, then you usually have bigger problems. If your asking which engines you can swap, and EA82 engines will drop in. But if you have SPFI, or MPFI, or Turbo, you want the same block, the compression ratios are different, the head are different etc.

The engine shouldn't do that, even if the cams were all out of time. This is a non-interference engine, the pistons will never touch the valves when the timing belts break. So there should not be anything inside the engine that would cause this, unless you droped a tool in there, or when you removed the intake, coolant filled a cylinder?? Remove the spark plugs and try turning it by hand. Is the car in gear?