Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 gl ea82

i have an 85 gl wagon 4wd ea82 engine with thats piece of crap hitachi carb.

well this car was my grandfathers, and i know a little about cars but nothing major or detailed. well i wanna turn this car into a tree climbing machione without the ej22 swap. i just need a lidt of things i need to do. im only 18 and dont have any help in my little town for this kind of thing. i already got tires and lift kit picked out but idk about wheels. i just really need some help. like a huge list of stuff to do would be great. like things i need to do to get started out.

jesse d

Or just go the easy route and drill out some six lug rims. Also, you can make a lift kit for under 20 bucks, depending on the price of steel. I would also recommend a weber carburetor. Its way easier than a EJ swap.

And lots of lights!

What color is it? Do you have any pictures? Dual range or single range 4x4?

Edited by Markus56

This design is really basic but it works very well. Its what i have on my 85 gl ea82.

http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=94629

a drawing of the front lift is about 3/4 of the way down the page.

The rear lift is just 2, 1 1/2" thick pieces of 2"x2" steel tubing.

Just out of curiosity, what lift are you going to get? SJR?

Edited by Markus56

You want a 32/36 DGV Weber carb. Also, if you're lookin for a lift, stop by my place sometime if you're ever down in the Yakima Valley...

-Bill

i am every once in awhile. not much income coming in so ya know cheaper is almost better right now but looking for sturdy lift. not gonna be jumping or anithing just offroading to get to places that i cant go in my car always have to take my buddys truck, i always feel bad leaving my suby behind because i know she loves the adventure. i found a carb kit online http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUBARU-1985-1987-1-8L-OHC-EA82-Weber-Carb-Conversion_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1163Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem250378881970QQitemZ250378881970QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ebayphotohosting

ok then, the 2" isn't the way to go. my wagon would get washed away in 4 feet of water. But then so would one on a six inch lift. Heck, so would a jeep.

it only get that deep in early spring when all the snow run off is coming down. otherwise it only comes up to the knees