Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What service specific tools are needed for taking apart the main and pinion shafts in the 5mt? I saw GD mention a 36mm socket that has an OD of no more then 45.5mm but does anyone know how long the thin wall section needs to be?

Anything else?

Thanks!

Will-

What service specific tools are needed for taking apart the main and pinion shafts in the 5mt? I saw GD mention a 36mm socket that has an OD of no more then 45.5mm but does anyone know how long the thin wall section needs to be?

Anything else?

Thanks!

Will-

I'm not aware of needing anything other than correct size sockets and a press.

The big nut on end of main shaft requires a socket it has rounded corners that make it difficult. Take shaft to local dealer if they are A class like the guys at Subaru Santa cruz they will crack it loose for nothing then you just need a press.

Edited by bgh831

The big nut on end of main shaft requires a socket it has rounded corners that make it difficult. Take shaft to local dealer if they are A class like the guys at Subaru Santa cruz they will crack it loose for nothing then you just need a press.

Do you mean the nut has rounded corners or the that the seat of the nut has a fillet which requires the socket to have a rounded edge?

Thanks!

Will-

Do you mean the nut has rounded corners or the that the seat of the nut has a fillet which requires the socket to have a rounded edge?

Thanks!

Will-

The nut has rounded corners. Just means a big Cresent or Open ended wrench won't work. A proper size socket works easy, espescially with a good impact.