Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Head Gaskets Repaired but still over heating?

The head gaskets on my 1996 Subaru wagon finally went at 145k, they were repaired back in December together with a new radiator replacing the old one, the car is driven maybe 2x a week. Long story short, the car drove fine for 2 months, now I have noticed that the temp gauge goes beyond the middle and then back down, took it back to the mechanic blamed it on air in the system, problem still comes and goes.

My question, how to properly bleed the system and what could the mechanic have screwed up for the issue to still be the head gaskets? I must say that I do trust my mechanic, he is no rocket scientist but I do believe that he did replace the head gaskets and he even said that he replaced them with the updated ones, but now I am perplexed. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If it's been 2 months I'm guessing he got it burped.

Did he check the heads? If they were out of spec then new gaskets could be leaking.

You can also check the thermostat but assuming it wasn't replaced I'd have a bit of a hard time thinking it's your problem now. Although they do have to fail at some point.

Is it blowing it out the overflow or just the gauge is getting hot?

Coolant smelling funny?