Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Smoking Brat!

Hi, I'm new to USMB and to older Subaru's.

I just got a 1982 Brat gl and it has 2 less than minor issues.

1st is that the shifter is stuck/jammed in 1st gear and will not come out at all.

The 2nd is that the engine smoke like a freight train.

With the advise of a mechanic I changed the old oil and put a quality filter on it and added some resoline ring sealant. I noticed that it appears to have 2 hoses that come from the valve covers and go into the air box only one has a PCV valve the other does not. The one with the PCV doe not smoke, but the one without smoke and pools oil in the air box.

Any advise, insight or help?

Yes the smoke is coming out of the tail pipe (or whats left of it, cut off at cat.) and it is coming out of pass side valve cover vent hose but not the PCV hose. And yes it is blueish in color like oil burn off.

The clutch works great and I have driven it in 1st gear in 2wd-4x4hi-(neutral)-4x4low. It just wont shift out of 1st. The shifter is all floppy but all the external linkage I see looks good. Is this common with these?

Oh, one more thing,,, Never seen a dipstick on a manual transmission before, is this common on Subaru's?

Does anyone know what effect it would have if I removed and capped all the vacuum lines (except the essential ones)

I'll see about putting some pictures on here.

From what it sounds like, the smoking issue is not going to be fixed with capping the vacuum lines.

Do a compression test. Save yourself the wondering and contemplating, start with basics. If the compression test comes back less than ideal, and its the rings that are worn out, that would explain the smoking...

I'd make sure the engine is OK before I worry about the trans.

Hope this helps!

88RxTuner