Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm bringing my 2004 Outback in for repair of the air conditioning system for the third time in three years. Every summer, it loses all the freon. The first repair was for a defective O-ring, and this current repair is also for the O-ring. Not sure what the problem was for the second repair. At what point can I have something more effective done so that I don't have to deal with this every summer?

I had good luck using over the counter stop leak products and there freon. It is a good idea to cycle the A/C to keep seals lubed as well. Probably needs a new compressor though. Most likely it just leaks when it is very cold.

The problem shows up every summer around the beginning of July. I use the a/c from late February or early March until late October (warm climate here in east TN). The first repair was under original warranty, second out of pocket (emergency, no dealer nearby), third under extended warranty. I thought three repairs of the same problem should constitute grounds for a recall from the company.

Is it the same o-ring or always different o-rings?

If it's different o-rings, I'd probably suggest replacing all the o-rings in the system. It's possible you had a bad set or something got in the system to contaminate them.

If it's the same o-ring you may have an issue with the piping. I'd suggest they put some flourescent dye in the system so you can more easily find the leaks.