Ultimate Subaru Message Board

engine bay help

need help with some odds and ends. It has a weber. labeled everything well but I missed a few things aparently:

This is obviously a ground, but what does it connect to as I can't find any bolt hole it will reach:

Photo_040409_004.jpg

The bottom one I think is the return line for the fuel tank as it smells like fuel, and I can blow into it. The top one I am not shure:

Photo_040409_002.jpg

I got rid of my egr. Do I just plug these (in red):subaru1.jpg

In the above photo there is a little plastic valve coming out of the intake that looks like a "F" that has fittings coming out of it do I plug those or is that needed?

(below photo): The left circle comes out of the coollant tube going to the heater core, does that need to go anywhere or can it be plugged? Can right circle be plugged?:

swubaru2.jpg

Thanks for your help guys hope to get her running tommorow.

What year and model Subaru do you have? It looks like an EA82. I have an 86 GL Wagon with a 32/36 DGEV Weber. Do you live in Medford, OR? If so I'm just a few mintues south in Ashland.

As for the 2 hoses, I have those plugged off. I removed both hoses and capped the metal fittings off at the firewall. Make sure to use hose clamps to make sure no fuel leaks out.

As for the vacuum fittings coming off of the intake manifold, those are all capped with vacuum plugs on my EA82 intake manifold.

As for the coolant fitting on the coolant tube, that is no longer needed and can be capped off too. I actually had it welded closed on mine.

I also had the coolant passageway at the carb base welded closed as well. Shortly after the intial install of my Weber, coolant was getting sucked in from the carb base to the combustion chamber. I thought I had blown a head gasket but it was just the stupid carb base gasket. Since coolant doesn't go through the Weber I had that entire coolant passageway welded close. It has run wonderfully ever since.

~Bobby

Edited by bobs97c5

Its an 87GL wagon. I live in medford, my soob is at my shop in white city. I filled the coolant passage way where the carb mounts with some metal putty, hopefully it holds. If your in town tommorow I wouldn't mind an experienced subaru eye, but I don't want you to make a trip just for me. Thanks for the help

i believe that ground goes to the valve cover should be a bolt hole towards the front of the vehicle.

The ground goes to the bracket on the coolant pipe that runs from radiator to the waterpump. there is a bolt hole on the tubes mounting bracket.

The F shaped device that goes into the coolant passage is a thermovalve. It switched on the EGR vacuum, and also some evap function, once warmed up. It can just have all the hoses pulled off it and left uncapped. Although personally, I would leave the EGR operational as it helps lower combustion temperatures.

I hope you didn't throw away the vacuum line to the Distributor Advance. There is a small pellet with a hole in it that resticts the amount of vacuum that the advance recieves. You should fish it out of the old vac hose and install it in you're new hose

We should meet up to compare setups. I was wondering if you removed all of the solenoid valves on the driver's side of the intake manifold. Those are still on my car, but it doesn't seem like they are needed. I also wasn't sure what vacuum advance hoses are needed after the Weber install. On my Weber the vacuum advance fitting is capped off. I still have the two vacuum advance hoses hooked up going to the distributor, but I think someone mentioned only one of them is necessary after the Weber install. Let me know if you want to meet up sometime. I work in Medford at RVMC.