Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil pressure relief question

EA 82 engine, has a relatively new oil pump (less than six months).. just did timing belts seals etc and when finishing up and changing the oil filter, noticed that the ball is missing from the relief assy. at the top of the oil filter.

Question.... (really don't want to re do the belts etc and buy a new oil pump assy.) how important is that relief system and can I get away with skipping it.????

It needs to be there, or all your oil will *bypass* and go straight back intot he pan.

Good news though. If you have your old pump, you can use the relief assembly from that. And it can be installed with the pump and belts and covers even on the motor.

Looking at the pump from underneath, on the opposite side fromt he filter, there is a 14mm or maybe 17mm? bolt head at an angle to the ground. that is the relief mechanism. take out the bolt, remove the spring and the plunger, and transfer it into the new pump.

It is very strange that it didn't come with that.

I'm confused about if its the bypass or relief... its the ball visible when you remove the oil filter? which one is that? The pressed in collar that holds the ball is in there but somehow it got mushroomed out and let the ball escape (into an old oil filter I guess) the ball is gone, just the end of a spring is visible, how critical is it... (need to get this car back together and cash is in short supply).... was figuring that when the oil pump starts to go I can replace it with the engine in the car (buying some precious time and saving $$ is high priority)... engine is out today and needs to get back in there ASAP.... (also had an issue with wrong number of splines in the clutch kit driven plate.... got to get the right clutch plate.).

That's what confuses me... the pressure is actually solid to high... it seems to have perfect pressure... when the engine is in the high rpm range, pressure needle shows about 80% of peak (I forget what the numbers are... 40is half and 80 is at the top of the gague... is that right) anyway it's up around 60 when revs are up... normal cruising pressure is at about halfway.. (40?) drops to about a quarter at idle...... (pump can't be returned... prior owner had it done shortly before we bought the car)

I was under the impression that the bypass valve allows oil to bypass the filter in situations where oil demand is momentarily high... if that's the case and the pressure is good and the car is not pushed that hard... seems like it's a luxury that I could live without. Or am I totally confused here?

I was under the impression that the bypass valve allows oil to bypass the filter in situations where oil demand is momentarily high... if that's the case and the pressure is good and the car is not pushed that hard... seems like it's a luxury that I could live without. Or am I totally confused here?

hmm..... well I am again looking at the FSM diagrahm of the oiling system.....

It seems you are correct. It is there really more for times when the filter get's plugged.

problem is, without the ball there, there is nothing to stop a large portion of you're oil from going through that hole, unfiltered......so yeah, you will get oiling, but it will be unfiltered......less than desirable for sure.

I would still try to return that pump if you have the receipts.

yeah, that makes sense.... pressure is good, not high or low so oil pressure switch must be ok. so this must be the bypass system... and with no ball, all or most oil is bypassing the filter.... not a good situation.

OK thanks for your help.