Ultimate Subaru Message Board

oil pump seal & light combo switch-- difficult?

Hello all--

I need to replace my oil pump seal (leaking all over the place, then burning on the exhaust) and the combination switch (dash & tail lights not coming on when headlights are on). The mechanic diagnosed these two things but I don't have the $$$ to pay him to do the work...

I've searched through the forums, but what I'd really like to find out is how difficult these two items would be to replace--what's the brain damage factor? I think I can probably find a combo switch from the junkyard.

Thanks!

Andy

'91 Loyale wagon

Not difficult to replace the combo switch. Just requires pulling the steering wheel but I'd check things like blown fuses/bulbs before going that route. Plenty of posts explaining how to reseal the oil pump. Many owners do it when replacing the timing belts. All that oil leakage is probably originating from bad seals rather than the oil pump. If the "lifters" are not clattering, then the oil pump is not the source of the leakage.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50768

Edited by john in KY

All that oil leakage is probably originating from bad seals rather than the oil pump. If the "lifters" are not clattering, then the oil pump is not the source of the leakage.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50768

Not quite- On my turbowagon, it ran quieter than most EA82s I have seen, but dumped oil out of the pump. The mickey mouse gasket was shredded, and the shaft seal was spinning in it's bore. No TOD, but low oil pressure. Also, if it is leaking from the pump, then just get a reseal kit. Unless you have 300k on the thing, chances are the pump is just fine.

It's best to get the timing covers off then see where the oil is actually coming from. If it's a seal, then chances are your belts are oil-soaked and should be replaced.

I had the valve covers off a couple of years ago, as there was some tapping from the lifters (one of the internal oil passages had a blockage causing the lifters to be starved). The mech. replaced the valve cover gaskets at that time. Said the valvetrain looked beautiful.

The oil pump should be good. 172k mi, good oil pressure.

It appears the timing covers have to come off anyway to replace the oil pump seal(s), so whether the belts are soaked or not, it seems like a good idea to replace them as well (can't remember when they were changed last--100k perhaps).