Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is this normal?

I noticed also that after changing the RH camshaft o-ring the cap doesnt really sit as flush as it used to (torqued down to 12 lb-ft per the manual spec).. when i take the o-ring off and let the cap sit completely flush, the amount of travel is less but there's still a little of front back play

I'm a little concerned about that.

Well i took a cap off of my 96 Legacy which doesn't have the same issue. The problem is still there. After double checking the cap and making sure it was torqued to spec, looks more like i'm getting about .8mm of play, still well outside of the maximum allowance.

What can cause this assuming the cap is OK?

I haven't seen it, so i don't know what holds the cam in place. The cap obviously prevents it from moving back, but what prevents it from moving forward? Is it just a larger diameter lip on the journal that is stopped by the head from moving forward?

I don't know what your you're working on but I have a set of DOHC heads already torn apart. IIR a pair of 97's. Idler failure, I already sold the short block. Some bent valves. I had to steal some cam cap bolts for another job (they had been rounded by someone prior probably adjusting the shims for the valves). But I've got the cams, caps, etc.

FWIW I've never seen your issue before either.

I did drop Delta Cam a PM a while ago to see if they were still interested in cams, heads, etc. I have about a dozen parts engines around here 2.2 and 2.5's and haven't heard back. I don't really know what they are worth. The 97 had 111k on it. The TB melting onto the idler for the tensioner was really something. Dealer had done TB at 100k and didn't do the idlers(according to the PO never recommended idlers) and at 111k it had a meltdown.

Edited by davebugs
long block to short block