Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So, i guess this is a leaking rear main...

Few weeks ago i pulled the tranny, changed the oil separator plate... and thought heck might as well do the rear main.

Well, this is what the rear main looks like today...

IMG_0712.jpg

IMG_0713.jpg

First picture has some coolant on it thats why it's green, but the second picture is just the oil.. It's actually pretty dirty back there in general so i really can't tell for sure that its the rear main, but looking closely i can see oil at the edges... so i think it's safe to say that it is the rear main..?

I learned my lesson about that seal - if it's not leaking, don't touch it.

I'm just debating if i should reseal my oil separator.. i'm pretty sure it's not leaking.. but can't say for sure.

I say "if the engines out.... change it!" (unless you just did) There will never be a better time, and the seal is cheap.

I always make sure that I fuzz up the outside edge of the seal with some emery cloth before I put it in. Helps keep the seeping in check around the OUTSIDE of the seal.

The seperator plate is ALWAYS a good idea to re-seal.

The seperator plate is ALWAYS a good idea to re-seal.

Well I just did the plate a few weeks ago... i'm only back in there again because something is still leaking.

but i can't say for sure the plate isn't also the culprit, so maybe i'll do it just for good measure.