Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil Pump Revoval on a 98 Outback Limited 2.5L DOHC

make sure you have ALL the bolts out..

On the EJ 22 there's one right in the center of the pump too. The seal should break pretty easily if its the original.

I had the same problem, and then realized one of the bolts were still in.

And then just take a pry bar and leverage it out.

7 bolts sounds right..

sorry i don't have any other advice then. I don't think the seal from the factory sealant should be that difficult to break though

How did you try to break it? You said you used a piece of wood? Are you trying to pry it away from the block or loosen it by knocking it to the side? I don't think it will knock loose to the side because there should be dowel pins also on the block.

7 bolts sounds right..

sorry i don't have any other advice then. I don't think the seal from the factory sealant should be that difficult to break though

How did you try to break it? You said you used a piece of wood? Are you trying to pry it away from the block or loosen it by knocking it to the side? I don't think it will knock loose to the side because there should be dowel pins also on the block.

Well, I tried both prying it very carefully, then using a piece of wood with a hammer to tap it out from different side angles, but it won't budge. I believe the front oil seal is keeping it locked in. I would not replace the front seal since it is in good condition and has no leaks , but I already unbolted the oil pan which can't be removed because the oil pump housing is in the way.

A Haynes manual says to remove the front seal, use a seal removal tool or screwdriver. A screwdriver seems like a bad method for getting it out (too much that can go wrong). It also says you can carefully drill 2 holes and install 2 self tapping screws into the seal then pull it out. I can't see that would work either. With as sealed as it currently is around the crankshaft it seems that the self tappers would easily pull out, besides the fact that there isn't that much depth to drill into the seal for the screws anyways.