Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi,

As some of you may remember, I'm trying to install a factory-type cruise control (cc) on my '98 Forester. I have all the components installed (some from older Subies), but cannot get the system to work. I've gotten some really good advice from past posts, so I'm giving this another shot.

The part number for a '98 Forester cc computer is 87022FC000

The part number for a '97 Outback cc computer is 87022AC051

The only difference I can see between the 2 is the mounting tab. The OB computer has a right angle mounting tab that allows it to hang from a bolt that comes down vertically to the left of the steering column.

The Forester computer mount has a straight tab that goes over a threaded bolt horizontally sticking out from the side of the car behind the driver's kick panel.

The electrical plug fits either one. Does anyone know if the mounting tab (right angle or straight) on the computer is the reason for the difference in part numbers....or are there differences in the electronics & that's why I can't get my system to work?

I'd very much like to hear from anyone who knows anything about the reason for separate part numbers for 2 parts that seem to be exactly the same, except for the mounting tab.

ScottG

Duh!, I will definitely review the wiring for the cc. Don't know why I didn't think of that first.

There's a new twist to my situation. My good friend picked up a used '99Forester today. It's got a burnt valve (previous owner said) & won't run, so we trailered it home. I peeked under the hood to check out the cruise control & found something I'd not seen before: a cruise control module that was vacuum & electric all in one, AND it was connected to the intake manifold for its vacuum! It's bolted to the frame rail on the passenger side, above the catalytic converter & it also bolts behind the A/C filter drier. Its a large unit with a big vacuum diaphragm.

Anyone know if this is a standard factory unit for a Forester or is it a dealer add-on?.

ScottG

That's the standard setup for Forester and Impreza. Legacy models had a vacuum pump, maybe because there used to be a turbo engine in the line-up.

A dealer-added cruise control kit would be identical to factory equipment.

Edited by avk

A dealer-added cruise control kit would be identical to factory equipment.

No, it would not. I don't know a company that still builds vacuum cruise in the aftermarket. Most dealerships, though not all, will use aftermarket cruise as a dealer option because it is usually MUCH less expensive than using the factory parts. And they can still gouge you for full ride since you aren't likely to ever notice the difference.

Guys, I think i have solved the problem. I went to Pence Subaru (local dealership in Richmond) to find out exactly what I need to get a workable cc together for my '98 Forester. I found a mishmash of part numbers & parts. It seems that Subaru started using a new combination of parts on the Forester in 1998. All Foresters, it seems, have this combination electric/vacuum module that mounts on the passenger side frame, just below the AC filter drier. It uses a flat electric plug with 4 prongs and has a vacuum connection to the intake manifold. It also has a long cable that comes underneath the airbox, curves to the front & around to connect to the throttle body. What stuns me is that there are different part numbers for automatic transmission equipped Fozzies, versus the manual shift ones. Seems Subaru complicated matters instead of simplifying them. Inaddition, this module uses engine vacuum instad of an electric vacuum pump....which I think Subaru has been using since around 1987 or 1988.

No wonder parts from Otbacks & Legacies don't work.

I've managed to acquire one of these special modules, though I had to drive to a Northern VA auto recycler to obtain it.

I'll post the results of my installation tomorrow.

ScottG

No, it would not. I don't know a company that still builds vacuum cruise in the aftermarket. Most dealerships, though not all, will use aftermarket cruise as a dealer option because it is usually MUCH less expensive than using the factory parts. And they can still gouge you for full ride since you aren't likely to ever notice the difference.

OK, Subaru-branded dealer add-on kits were identical to factory parts. They were available as an accessory under their own part numbers.

Scott: The set-up used on Forester/Impreza is a basic most common type of vacuum cruise control.

Edited by avk