Ultimate Subaru Message Board

82 brat mods: dash and crossmember

jsubom

I'm going to do an ej22 swap into the brat. I have done a ton of research and know what I need. I was just wondering if anyone has broached the subject of putting the crossmember from an older legacy or an impreza in. I know it would require some mods but I don't even know if the width is even close. It would be beneficial for the newer power steering rack and the sway bar.

I was also wondering if anybody has put the entire dash from another 80's subaru into a brat. I specifically would like to know about the dash out of an 87 Rx that I have access to.

I would not be asking but I have searched to no avail.

The EA81 body (Brat's included) are narrower than EA82's and up by several inches. The cross-member's are similarly narrower. It has been done in conjunction with a lift for off-roading but making it work on an unlifted rig would be difficult due to the inability to move the strut tops without reworking the entire front end of the car. Thus you would have to shorten the control arms or (better) move the mounts inward.

It would seem much better to install an EJ power steering rack into an EA81 cross-member (from an EA81 with power steering of course). The sway bar is no problem as there are plenty of random sway bars around that can be made to fit - Rguyver used one for a 60's cuda. The Brat benefits most from a rear sway bar which it doesn't have stock but one from an EA82 turbo or XT6 can easily be modified to work by welding on the brackets from a set of EA82 turbo trailing arms or just making new one's.

Same goes for the dash. And EA82 dashes (RX's included) are nothing to write home about. If I were going to do it I would put in something truely newer. EA82's are pretty dated.

GD