Ultimate Subaru Message Board

transmission and gearing swap?s

I have a 97 impreza obs that just got the outback strut swap done and has 27 inch allterrains on it. It is a 3.9 5 speed manual. With the larger tires its down right pathetic power wise, so I wanna swap to 4.11's. My question is which is best way and which is the easiest way to achieve this.

option 1. Get a manual from a 96 2.2l legacy outback. since its cable clutch it should bolt up. but I think my speedo is cable driven and don't know if the 96 outback is. Can the speedo be converted if mine isnt electronic speedo. It's just hard to find since its a 1 year only model transmission.

option 2. find a 91-94 legacy manual and I think Ill need to swap the vss. If my speedo is electronic, will this transmission work. What else would need to be converted? Will I have to use the legacy axles also with this trans, since I think they have a different spline count then later model imprezas and legacies. Also will the rear diff from the early legacy bolt right in, I know it is designed different with stub axles like old gl's but if I use the legacy axles will it bolt right in and work with my hubs? Will abs still work with the older legacy axles, I think sensors are mounted different then the imprezas. The good part is they are eaiser to find but usually have more miles? But I can probably find a whole parts car to take everything from.

Option 3. get a 96-97 gt or 97 outback trans and convert it over to cable clutch. How hard is it to convert and what exactly needs to be done to the transmission to change from hydro to cable. If my speedometer is cable will this trans work since the 97 legacies use electronic speedo's. The good part with these trans is that they are easier to find then the 96 outback trans and usually have lower miles

Sorry for the long post and so many questions but I'm just trying to get all the info I can so I don't waste my money on something that turns out wont work.

Thanks in advance

Either of the first two scenarios would work fine.

No swapping axles, you're IMP is AWD so it has 25 spline axles.

If you have an electric VSS it will bolt right into the Legacy trans.

Get a 4.11 rear end from a 95 or newer Legacy outback, or if you get a 90-94

unit, get the rear axles with it.

OR.....you could have more fun by installing a D/R 5spd from an older GL and not have to swap the rear diff. Lengthened driveline required.