Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The seat refit write-up thread

Ok, I've started this thread so that people who have swapped different seats into their respective Subarus can post their write-ups. Hopefully we can get enough info in here to get this USRM-worthy.

If you've done a seat swap, please post what the target car (and style) was, what the donor car was, and then post your write-up. Pics would be great if you have them.

I'll start.

Target car: 1982 BRAT (EA-81 body)

Donor car: 1991 Mazda Protege

I was amazed at how easy this is, as the width between the seat track mounts are identical between the Mazda and the EA-81. Only slight modifications needed to be made to the passenger seat rails.

Mark or note which side of the EA81 rails are the front, then remove the seat rails from the EA81 seats. Discard the screws that held them in. Remove the seat rails from the Mazda's seats. Retain the bolts that held them in.

On the passenger side rails from the EA, use a dremel or drill to slot the FRONT holes that mount the seat to the rail TOWARDS the rear of the rails approximately 1/4" on both rails. Bolt the rails to the underside of the Mazda passenger seat, then bolt the seat in position in the car.

On the driver's side seat out of the donor car I used, there was a weird "springy" adjustment on all 4 of the rail bolt mounts on the seat. These allowed the bolt holes to move slightly. It was enough that no modifications needed to be made to the seat. Just bolt the rails on and bolt the seat to the floor. IF your donor seat does not have this (i.e. the bolt holes are fixed), repeat the same steps for the driver's seat as you did for the passenger seat.

Enjoy!

I put Legacy seats in the Brat. I used 3/4"x1" steel stock to make adaptor blocks. The Legacy seats are a bit wider than the stock seats. The first blocks I made for the driver's seat were just 1/4" off center, but it really bugged me cuz I could tell it was off center just by sitting there. So I used those blocks on the passenger seat and made proper blocks for the driver's seat. The seats sit 3/4" higher because of the blocks. Plus, the Legacy seats are already taller to begin with, so it kinda makes the Brat feel like a big go cart.