Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help: Engine Swap questions 2.5 EJ DOHC AT to a 2.2 EJ SOHC

Help,,,

I'm thinking of replacing my engine in my 1998 outback AT 2.5 DOHC with an engine 2.2 EJ from a 1999 impreza Manual transmission.

This is my first Subaru, GREAT CAR, a crapp engine- Piston swap and a noisy rod bearing. Despite the fact I did a full rebuilt 10 km ago. The thought of opening that engine case again almost makes me ill.

I have already bought the 2.2 EJ engine and exhaust system. low miles and excellent leak down. It was a great deal.

Will the intake manifold from the 2.5 EJ DOHC AT fit on the 2.2 EJ SOHC MT?

The gaskets look different. Will an adapter plate work?

Will 2.5 EJ DOHC heads go on the 2.2 EJ block? what would the CR be? Can I use 2.5 head gaskets? I have an extra pair...

Do I need to change the ECM?

What about the Power Steering lines?

the Y pipe I'm okay with..

please help...

Help: Engine Swap questions 2.5 EJ DOHC AT to a 2.2 EJ SOHC MT

Edited by 4ahickey

No, the 2.5 intake won't bolt onto the 2.2 heads. The wiring will most likely plug in at the 3 plugs at the bellhousing though so you don't have to worry about that.

The 2.5l flexplate has to be used, it's a different depth than the 2.2l flexplate.

Depending on the year of the 2.2l, it's single or dual port exhaust, but you got the y-pipe so that should be covered. The thing with having an engine from a manual trans car is that the 2.2l may not have EGR. Make sure that the rear drivers side of the intake manifold has an EGR valve and the stainless pipe coming up from the head on the 2.2.

Should be plug and play. You're 2.5 l power steering lines will kinda be suspended in the air above the passenger side head, you can either make a bracket or swap the 2.2l lines and hoses onto it.