Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1986 XT fixing... still...

I've began work on the XT sense it was crushed by a collapsed car port last winter. Body damage is minimal, there's a small 2x8 inch dent in the rear of the roof about 1 inch at most deep, the window frame appears to be straight still. Both front and rear window were broken/blown out from the main supports of the car port. So I guess the question would be, is it more work than it's worth to find new glass and put it in my self? Or am I better off hireing a glass company to come out and put new glass in for me?

If it were me, I'd check to see if a glass place can do it. I wouldn't go to the expense of doing it with OEM-grade glass (unless you spend the time to get it off a parts car).

But after watching a pro work on two of my cars and then trying to do it myself, I'd have to say that really there's no seal like having a pro do it.

Also, check with used car lots to see if they'll give you a guy who will do it cheap. O'Neill's Wheels in Everett was going to refer me to a guy who did windshields for $145. I only didn't take him up on it because it was for a nearly new car where I had a deductible of $200, which got me OEM grade glass.

hi,

i did not find a source for the rear glass on xt, except the dealer, it was $$$, the front is probably available aftermarket. the xt has a different tint than xt6, so watch for that.

i had 2 rear glass for xt and one for xt6, i removed and stored, i think they are still around. if you decide to replace them.

the rear and front are a real PITA to remove as all the trim has to come 0ff and some of them are a pita also, probably break or bend some, and the windshield wiper assembly has to remove, another pita, all in all they are hard and tedious to replace.

Good luck on it, keep us posted

I've began work on the XT sense it was crushed by a collapsed car port last winter. Body damage is minimal, there's a small 2x8 inch dent in the rear of the roof about 1 inch at most deep, the window frame appears to be straight still. Both front and rear window were broken/blown out from the main supports of the car port. So I guess the question would be, is it more work than it's worth to find new glass and put it in my self? Or am I better off hireing a glass company to come out and put new glass in for me?

I was referred to Mark from leading edge glass out of n. seattle, I have 2 gl windshields to replace but haven't given them a call due to other expenses and my cracks don't leak yet. I saw another place touting "cheapest auto glass in seattle" I cant remember the name but they are mobile in some blue van. I'd get quotes from all of them "cheapies" and find the one that will beat the lowest quote.

Call aarons auto wrecking I believe they have atleast the rear glass.. (I just got one and they told me they had two more...

If not I have a parts 6 for sale... (well Officially I don't but I will have it up in the next couple of weeks.