Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Knuckle 99A vs 99Y differences?

I picked up a used knuckle today and noticed that it has a different part number than the one I removed. They look identical other than that. Does anyone know what the difference is between the two? I have a 2000 OB sedan and there was a parts change over with a 11/99 and before then a 12/99 and after date. My car door sticker has a manufacturing date of 11/99.

i bet the difference is the part number. subaru liked to make minor changes for no apparent reason. i would think the reasons were sometimes less to do with any significant part changes as opposed to something internal going on...source of materials, casting, supplier, manufacturing process, accounting, taxes....who knows.

the hubs should interchange just fine. right around 2000-ish they started having the tone rings for the ABS on the axle as opposed to the hub. that would certainly entail a parts change.

if that's the case here, you would notice a tone ring on the hub on one and not on the hub on the other.