Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 GL shifter click

Hello everyone. I bought an 88 GL wagon a few weeks back with some friends while I'm doing a seasonal job in Alaska. Its been WELL worth the 400 bucks we spent so far. We are basically just trying to get it to run as well as possible for the summer and then we are leavin. Now, the problem is that a few days ago, when shifting into third and fifth the shifter would make a clicking noise until you disengaged the clutch. (still shifts and drives fine)

Now, starting yesterday, the clicking noise is very constant even when not shifting (just driving down the road) It's not all the time, but dang close. Also, the shifter is shaking pretty violently. It sounds fairly similar to a single engine cessna in the cabin :-\

I'm curious if anyone has encountered this before and if its an internal transmission problem or something less serious like the linkage and if there are any suggestions on how to fix it, or if nothing else, to extend the life of the vehicle. I am pretty handy, but tools are limited and i'm in the middle of nowhere, so any tips would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks in advance!

PS...now I know what kind of car I'm going to by for the drive home at least, I love this little thing, even though its a beater!

my car did something similar, the bushings on the shifter had worn out to the point that half of it fell out - I had a ton of shift lever free play and the shifter wobbled and rattled going down the road

the reliability and durability of these cars is a charm in it's own :)

Are you talkin about the bolt directly under the shifter with the rubber pieces on either side of the shifters rod? If so, that definitely has some play to it (not sure if it's supposed to) If it's the same problem, did you find that it was safe to drive? It's not grinding any gears and shifts and drives fine, but it's not a very comforting sound ya know?

I'm pretty sure your problem is the shift linkage is sinking down enough that it is starting to rub against the driveline. :eek:

I would get under there and just look to see where the bright shinny metal is where things are scraping, and even if all you have is some zip-ties, bailing wire, don't let it go on that way, or you might have a serious problem on the road in the near future.

I am saying this assuming that since you say it only happens when your going down the road and shifting into certain gears? Or does it happen at idle too?

Even if it happens while at idle too, I highly suspect the shift linkage rubbing against the drive line. Also be sure to see if the trans mounts are rotten, if so that can allow the same problem to occur.

Good luck and be safe! :banana: (don't "feed" any bears while your there if you know what I mean :o:drunk: ... I have always wanted to visit Alaska! might move there someday :))

Are you talkin about the bolt directly under the shifter with the rubber pieces on either side of the shifters rod? If so, that definitely has some play to it (not sure if it's supposed to) If it's the same problem, did you find that it was safe to drive? It's not grinding any gears and shifts and drives fine, but it's not a very comforting sound ya know?

yes on the bolts, mine was really obnoxious, but 'safe'. Fly Boy has great points, if anything under there is 'shiny', it's been rubbing. Either way, he's right on with securing whatever it is with whatever you've got

mine had several inches of side to side play, even when it was in gear, it was just the linkage play (when I went underneath to look and saw the bushing was physically missing from the linkage I laughed my butt off)

sounds like you'll be fine as long as you check it out and keep an eye on it, haven't heard of one exploding from this yet

That's exactly what happened....was about to come on here and tell you of my discovery of the scraping, but low and behold, you beat me to the punch! Thanks for the help guys, now i just need to figure out how to get it to stop rubbing!

That's exactly what happened....was about to come on here and tell you of my discovery of the scraping, but low and behold, you beat me to the punch! Thanks for the help guys, now i just need to figure out how to get it to stop rubbing!

Good to hear you found the problem, as for repairing, if you are limited to just holding things together with wire, just wrap both haves of that shift linkage together and be gentle with it until you can replace or repair by drilling a hole through the 2 pieces and if the rubber is gone, just use anything handy to make a similar gap. wood will work if you don't have chunk outta an old trucker's retread or something. I once had to ride a motorcycle with nothing more than a piece of retread I carved down plugging the hole in the tire.

Good luck!