Ultimate Subaru Message Board

83 Brumby after painting

kiwishooter

my one is white with a canopy an alloy bullbars...if you want when i'm down in a week or so you can have a look at it... lol altho be warned its no show car

dunno about finding a power steering rack to fit a brumby....maybe you could get Otago Metals subaru wreckers to keep an eye out for one?

how are you setting up the gearbox mounts?....i'm using the original 4spd mounts....i wouldn't do it that way again because the FT4WD 5spd is a bit heavy for them...when i get some time i'm going to make another crossmember to take the bigger mounts off a EA82 or a Legacy

LPGsuperchargedBrumby I have sent you a PM, it would be good to see yours when you are in Dunedin next.

For the gearbox crossmember I am either going to alter the existing one or fabricate one to use either the EA82 mounts or maybe a set of Legacy mounts.

How did you get around the front inner cv joint?

I couldn't find any 23 spline stub axles to fit the Legacy diff carrier, but when I was looking at the 23 spline CV joint and the Legacy 25 spline joint they both looked about the same size. What I found was the outer cup of the Legacy joint fitted on the inner part of the EA81 23 spline joint. Axle problem solved.......I think........I will know for sure when it drives.

I think I have found a power steering rack at a reasonable price, I tried a place in Auckland they could supply one rebuilt for $750 +GST I told them where to go. But I think I have found a rebuilt one in ChCh for $250......failing that I might try and get one from Aussie.

I will post more photos as work progresses.

My other project.....not a subbie

Mustang1.jpg

Mustang3.jpg

How did you get around the front inner cv joint?

I couldn't find any 23 spline stub axles to fit the Legacy diff carrier, but when I was looking at the 23 spline CV joint and the Legacy 25 spline joint they both looked about the same size. What I found was the outer cup of the Legacy joint fitted on the inner part of the EA81 23 spline joint. Axle problem solved.......I think........I will know for sure when it drives.

Split the Trans case open and fit the 23 spline stubs from a standard L series trans into the diff carrier. Then you can use regualr EA81 axles for ever.

Gloyale, I don't know if it is just what is available in New Zealand but all the 23 spline stubs I find have 23 splines on the inner end as well as the outer, so will not fit in the Legacy 25 spline diff carrier. Also all the 23 spline gearboxes either EA81, L series, Legacy or Impreza have smaller bearings on the diff carrier than the 25 spline diff carrier so it won't fit either.

How many splines are on the inside end of the Legacy dual range gearbox stub axles and how many are on the inside of your 23 spline stub axles??

My gearbox is back together and now lodged in the trans tunnel on the Brumby, but I would love to know what the stub axles you are talking about come out of cause I certainly cant find any 23 splines stub axles with 25 splines on the inside where they fit in the spider gears.

Also all the 23 spline gearboxes either EA81, L series, Legacy or Impreza have smaller bearings on the diff carrier than the 25 spline diff carrier so it won't fit either.

I just don't see how that's possible. All of the manual trannies I've ever had apart, 4spd and 5spd have identical diff assemblies. Same bearings, same inrenal splines.

Did Fuji REALLY use THAT different of stuff over there?

Well, shoot.....I could mail you a set of our EA82 trans 23 spline stubs.

I just don't see how that's possible. All of the manual trannies I've ever had apart, 4spd and 5spd have identical diff assemblies. Same bearings, same inrenal splines.

Did Fuji REALLY use THAT different of stuff over there?

Well, shoot.....I could mail you a set of our EA82 trans 23 spline stubs.

Obviously Fuji did do something different for NZ as the 23 spline and 25 spline diffs are different and are not interchangeable. The 25 spline diff's have larger bearings than the 23 spline.

I have some 23 spline stubs but can't fit them in the 25 spline EJ D/R gearbox as it has a 25 spline diff.

I will try and get some photo's and post them.