Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trying to change Loyale fuel filter

:confused:

Hey there. New to this place and hoping to find some help!!

I have a 1990 Loyale, 5spd 4wd FI non-turbo Wagon. I've bought a new fuel filter and am being stumped by my car on the first step!! I've read that you are supposed to relieve the fuel pressure from the lines by removing the fuel pump fuse or the fuel pump relay. Well, I've done both now and the car wont stall like it's supposed too! I'm 100% sure I'm pulling the right fuse, and pretty darn sure what I pulled in the engine bay behind the drivers side strut was the relay so I have no idea why it will still run. :-\ I've let it idle and it will just keep going, even if you rev it up.

Any ideas on why this might be or how to work around it??

Thanks!!

`TJ

:confused:

Hey there. New to this place and hoping to find some help!!

I have a 1990 Loyale, 5spd 4wd FI non-turbo Wagon. I've bought a new fuel filter and am being stumped by my car on the first step!! I've read that you are supposed to relieve the fuel pressure from the lines by removing the fuel pump fuse or the fuel pump relay. Well, I've done both now and the car wont stall like it's supposed too! I'm 100% sure I'm pulling the right fuse, and pretty darn sure what I pulled in the engine bay behind the drivers side strut was the relay so I have no idea why it will still run. :-\ I've let it idle and it will just keep going, even if you rev it up.

Any ideas on why this might be or how to work around it??

Thanks!!

`TJ

The relay behind the strut is not the fuel pump relay, it is for the AC. Fuel pump relay is mounted up above the ECU, next to the Brown main ignition relay. Fuse is easier to pull, but the relay isn't hard to access either.

You will have to run it for probably 30 to 90 seconds before it will stall. But if you pull the fuel pump fuse, it shoudl start then die after that.

Or just wrap a rag around it, there isn't that much pressure, and it will just spurt once into the rag.