Ultimate Subaru Message Board

End of the line

My 86 brown wagon is on life support so I guess its time for major surgery. Engine, clutch, ball joints, cracked windshield, needs new brakes and more. I went out and picked up a 100k engine ready for a reseal.

This will be my first BIG fix but I figured what better time to learn. My goal is to have it last for the next couple of years, take it camping some and not get stranded anywhere or killed. I'll put in a Weber if I can swing the $ but after that I'm not sure of what I COULD do so I thought I'd ask the masters.

Any suggestions of what to do while I have it open?

Kevin

:confused:

Clean the engine bay, eliminate anything that is not essential to make the car run/drive safely(makes the engine bay much cleaner and easier to work in), check all the wiring for any damage, clean all the grounding points, change the gear oil in the tranny and diff, flush the brake system, replace all the old heater/vacuum/fuel/PCV hoses with new ones, that kinda stuff. I would do a new dual exhaust too, but thats just me :)

-Bill

BTW, that's the engine I got from you that will be powering brownie. Dual exhaust huh? Why?

I like the stuff about clearing out the engine bay. i noticed that my friends rebuilt Subie also has the uber clean engine bay...that goes into the keeper column.

BTW, I remember what else it was I was looking for when I picked up the engine. Do you have a rear swaybar like from a GL10 (I have a beefier front sway bar I got last year waiting to go in) and/or any rear discs sitting around?

Kevin

I do have a pair of GL-10 swaybars, front and rear, as well as a pair of RX swaybars from my burnt hulk of an RX... Im keeping my rear discs though...

I run dual exhausts for the sound mostly, I love the sound of a sube with duals and glasspacks, but a crossover pipe is important, its a night and day difference from my 2 brats, my 1600 Brat has more power than my 1800 Brat, all because of the x-pipe I put on the 1600 exhaust setup! Both have Webers and dual exhasut, but I didnt put a crossover on the 1800 Brat...

-Bill