Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ok so im lookin at a justy

Well from my Experiences of having 4 of them (carb 4wd RS, FI 2wd, FI 4wd 4dr, and the worst one FI EVCT) there great little gas getters the FI 2wd was the best one at that i hit 40mpg a couple times, 8 gallon tank not to bad to work on and Surprisingly roomy. the only things were that i had to replace the axles and hubs a couple times and on the highway it felt like it needed another gear but other then that fun car to drive except the EVCT that is a pain. :)

They are cool little cars. I am doing a ridiculously comprehensive rebuild on a Gen 1 right now. The deal with the oil/water pump is that they are integrated into an elaborate cast aluminum crankcase plate that is dealer-only and costs $360 for the time being. Not trying to scare you, but the problem is in fact the oil pump. The drive linkage is not very sophisticated and eventually causes eccentric lateral forces on the the steel rotor which then correspondingly wears down the aluminum shaft bore. I bushed the shaft bore on my crankcase plate, but it is still just a band-aid. Like I said though, don't let this scare you away, this is just the one problem that affects all Justy's.

I say buy it, and if you don't, pm me because I will buy it immediately. The Justy suffers more acutely from the same fate that is now creeping up on the ea81s. Parts are already somewhat difficult to come by, and there is almost no aftermarket support. I think they have enough time to do a good rebuild and drive it for another 200,000, but after that I think you will be looking at a bleak parts scenario or...major mods, which could be fun. Get it, join proboards, have fun.