Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SOunds like you're trying to feed in liquid 134a on the low side. Charging should be done on the high side. If you're using one of the cheap recharge kits you can get from Schuck's and such, then you don't have a choice. If that's the case, leave the can upright so that it will draw vapor instead of liquid. The refrigerant will happily boil off. If that goes too slowly for you, you can use a heat gun to heat the can.

took it to a local repair shop today, they tried to vac and recharge and it did the same thing. the said it appears to him that the expansion valve is either stoped or not working. has anyone had this problem before? i know it is behind the dash, how hard it is to get to? help!!in fl it is really "no cool " to have no a/c.

Without looking at the car with a set of guages, I just don't know. To diagnose it yourself, you'll need a good set of manifold guages and some reference materials. I'll be happy to help with that. What you're going to do is run the system and watch both high and low pressures to see where the refrigerant is going and what its doing when it gets there.

I took it to a local mechanic that is knowledgable in the mechanics of the a/c system. The way he explained to me was that the system would recharge without a problem, no leaks, the presure got so high it would slow down the clutch and then blow it's top,(the presure valve on the side of the condensor would engage) i changed the ac compressor thinking that was the problem. I guess he probably know what he is talking about. What i could really use to you have the step by step directions on how to get to the expansion valve, that would truly help. My email address is subarucity@aol.com

Well i got the old one off, i was quoted 110.00 at a local subaru dealership. Is that high or average price. Can you receommend somewhere else. I do thank you for the instructions to take it off. Is this a dealler item only? Or can you buy it at any local parts store?

Parts store probably won't have it in stock, but should be able to order one. Depending on where they source it, you're probably looking at 3-4 days to get it. The best supplier, aside from the dealer, is probably Ranshu out of Reno, NV. They don't do retail sales, but if your parts store doesn't know where to get one, refer them to Ranshu.