Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bought 94' Loyale, Few question's

Since My purchase of a great little Loyale (story in meet and greet)

I just have a few question's about it.

Some things I have found that confuse me.

Since I never owned a 4 banger, When im driving at around 65mph the tach is reading 3800-4k rpm. IS this healthy for the 1.8 engine (auto trans 3 spd)

The engine stays very cool, until I drive at higher speeds, then cools down. Is the gauge broken, or does this thing really keep its cool? Also has bran new radiator.

And last but not least - The heater fan has 4 speeds, only 3 & 4 work, the lower ones do not. Any fix to this problem?

Other than that, what kind of care should these Subarus have, I am very strict about maintence, and as soon as something squeeks or makes a noise im the the garage wrenching on her!

Appriciate any Help.

1. The 5 speed runs about 3000 RPM , so the automatic is a little higher. No big deal.

2. My '93 doesn't do this. I would suspect the thermostat. Does it have one?

3. Common problem, the voltage dropping resistors are blown. There is a thread on here about replacing it. I have the same problem with 1st speed on mine, but I can't figure out where the resistor block is located from the description in that thread!

I've got a 92 with 5 speed and push-button 4wd. It's around 3100 at 65 in 5th so in 4th, i'd probably be around 4k too.

as for the temp, mine always stays in the bottom 3rd of the gauge. I actually got worried the one time it got close to half and dicovered that i had a slow coolant leak

as for the vents, what you have there is a 4-way dial switch. if there is a bunch of gunk that has worked its way inside the switch (into the electronics) that could be causing your problem (no current getting to the motor). you might try just taking the switch apart and cleaning the electodes with some rubbing alcohol

1. You are just starting to get into the torque curve at 3k, so this is where your Sub wants to run. Sit back and feel the power!

2. If your heater is blowing out hot air when the temp gauge is low, you are probably fine.

3. Here is a link to the blower motor resistor thread:

http://usmb.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?threadid=10108&highlight=blower+motor+resistor

DO NOT take apart your switch! This is a classic failure we all have probably had (or continue to have). The speeds fail one at a time from 1 on up due to resistor burnout. Read this post, then try the search function on this board. There are all kinds of posts on all kinds of problems that have been discussed here.

4. Change oil every 3mo/3k, coolant every 2years, tuneup with transmission service every 30k, timing belts every 60k, and brake fluid when it starts to turn brown (Subaru recommends every 60k or 15k under severe conditions).

Did I miss anything, guys?

Originally posted by Skipper47

Since My purchase of a great little Loyale (story in meet and greet)

I just have a few question's about it.

Some things I have found that confuse me.

Since I never owned a 4 banger, When im driving at around 65mph the tach is reading 3800-4k rpm. IS this healthy for the 1.8 engine (auto trans 3 spd)

The engine stays very cool, until I drive at higher speeds, then cools down. Is the gauge broken, or does this thing really keep its cool? Also has bran new radiator.

And last but not least - The heater fan has 4 speeds, only 3 & 4 work, the lower ones do not. Any fix to this problem?

Other than that, what kind of care should these Subarus have, I am very strict about maintence, and as soon as something squeeks or makes a noise im the the garage wrenching on her!

Appriciate any Help.

First off.... yes, the 3AT's rev that high. I know it sucks, but that's just how they are.

Second.... Older model Subarus are prone to temperature problems, usually overheating. If your car is overcooling, I'd say count your blessings, and just put a piece of cardboard on the front of the radiator until the weather warms up.

Third.... your blower motor resister block is going out. This resistor is located on the bottom of the blower motor, behind the glove box. It is very easy to replace.

Finally.... these cars have timing belts which will break if not properly maintained. Fortunately they have non-interference engines, which means the only damage a broken timing belt will do is a walk home or an expensive tow bill. You should replace the timing belts every 55,000 miles. As long as this has been done and everything else on the car is working OK, you're good to go.

The above is good advice. Don't know what I can tell you that you don't already know.

I have a 92 model.

I had the tranny fail at about 150K miles. I think it was loosing fluid gradually until the loss accumulated into failure. I was not the main driver of the car over these years. Pay attention to all fluid levels: Oil, coolant, tranny -- In my unit, I am loosing all 3, albeit gradually.

I always run at 3500 rpms at near 55-60, and have taken it higher. I figure that's OK.

One particularly bitchy thing about maintenance is the dist. rotor - it has a tiny screw which is hard to remove. There was a thread about that.