Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Doing cam cover seals & timing belts soon, anything else I should do?

Well, hopefully in the next day or two I'm pulling apart the engine in my 88 DL Wagon (EA82). I know I need to replace the cam cover seals, and I'm planning to replace the timing belts (the previous owner didn't replace them and doesn't know when they were last replaced, so I'm assuming they're overdue).

Quick question or two:

I know the oil passage seals with an o-ring. Is there anything else I need to get the cam covers back on and sealed? RTV? Or is there a reusable gasket that handles it?

Also, is there anything else I should do while the front half of the engine is in pieces? I was thinking oil pump seal, but when there's enough oil in the engine (rare, given the cam cover seal right now) the lifters don't tick, so I suspect it's generating enough pressure.

-=Russ=-

doing with the motor in - then you'll need some heavy grease to hold the rockers on to the HVLA's when you go to put the cam carrier back in place. I've even used vaseline with no bad side-effects :lol: its petroleum jelly after all...

RTV, Ultra Blue, all good for the cam carriers cause there is no regular gasket. Just make sure the oil passage o-ring stays in place when you re-assemble.

For a few bucks it can't hurt to reseal the oil pump too. Just make sure to use some gasket goo on the seam where the two halves of the block meet.

Hm... I was under the impression that the cam cover was just the shroud around the important stuff. Guess not.

I'll remember to grab some vasoline before I start. I haven't torn into a piston engine yet (but I've rebuilt a rotary engine... go figure), so it should be a nice learning experience.

I'd love to be able to pull the engine out, but I don't have an engine lift, and my garage currently has a gutted RX-7 chassis sitting in it, so I'll be doing this mostly outside (or half in the garage).

How long is this likely to take with the engine in? I only have to do the passenger side, though if I have time I'll do the driver's side as well. I'm comfortable with car work, but just haven't had a chance to deal with pistons much. Also, will removing the radiator make my life easier? I've seen that mentioned in a few threads. It could probably use new coolant before the winter anyway.

-=Russ=-

leave the radiator in place, this job is so easy that extra work like that is kind of pointless. by cam cover...are you referring to the actual cam carrier (cam tower) that holds the cam or just the valve cover? since you're pulling the timing belts you must be referring to the cam carrier because to replace the valve cover gasket doesn't require any timing belt removal.

cam carrier - make sure you have a new o-ring for the oil passage between the cam carrier and the head. it's a reinforced oring, go get two before you start.

drivers side is harder to do than the passengers side but not so bad in the 4 cylinder motors. the drivers side has the distributor connected to it. make sure all wiring and hoses are well out of the way when reinstalling, otherwise it's easy to rub up against something and you'll ruin your bead of sealant.

definetly reseal the oil pump. replace the cam seals (come in a kit from thepartsbin.com with associated o-ring for the cam holder), the front crank seal and water pump. have a water pipe o-ring ready if you're doing the water pump. all of this stuff is a well spent 50 dollars. how old is your thermostat, replace that if you don't know.

inspect all of your timing pulley bearings, make sure they spin smooth and aren't noisey. replace any that are bad. or if you drive alot or expect high mileage or like reliability - buy new timing belt tensioners and pulleys, they are quite inexpensive for the EA82 motors (that is not the case for the XT6 motors that i run). i've seen plenty of people have a bearing seize on these pulleys and shred the timing belts.