Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rear mount radiator?

Uberoo

I would like to move my radiator and put it somewhere else.I would like to mount it horizontally above the engine,but its a legacy radiator and it has plastic endtanks...so i can't modify the outlets or the fill hole.

then I heard about mounting it in the rear of pickups and jeeps.Seems to work ok, but there has to be a bleeder port on the engine and on the radiator.The legacy radiator already comes with a bleeder port.It wouldn't be to hard to thread a bleeder into the Tstat housing.

then after that just put the radiator in place of the tailgate and have some fans on when its going slow.at highway speeds it should draw plenty of air into it.(station wagons have a big vacuum area right where the "tailgate" is, so in theory it should suck air from the car out through the radiator.

Has anyone tried something like that before?How would I route the hoses?think the stock EA81 water pump could circulate that much more water?

It may not work in a wagon but I could always chop the roof off after the doors like I did on that one wagon I had...

you really need to be smart with hoses, the factory made them short for a reason. cooling, as well as oiling is most important lifeline.

sun UV will affect hose life too, so be aware of these facts, you are going to fail. Soon be pedal a flinstone machine.

Edited by bheinen74

• 2 weeks later...

I just moved my radiator to my spare tire location. I bought a new copper/brass radiator and had the filler neck modified to point up as the radiator lays on its back. I have hoses that are less then 2 feet long, and when I need to fill it, I either jack it up high from the back or back it up a small hill. I carved all the front sheet metal away from the shock towers forward and built a tube front end. It works great and it is easier to throw the spare tire in the back instead of the radiator. The other issue is that I think the water pump could not pump that volume of water effieciently and would require a second, electric pump.

• 1 month later...

rrrawr *post has risen from the DEAD!!*

So I just got a new hood for my ea81.Turns out that the top of the legacy radiator is just a little to tall for the hood to close effectively.So rather than cut up my $26 pull and save hood,I should relocate the radiator because I plan to do it anyway.My final question before I buy the tubing,does anyone know if the stock EA81 waterpump can pump that much more volume?

Im on christmas break from college so I now have quite a bit of time on my hands. Tomorrow- fix waterpump on my DD, put fixed radiator back into dodge, maybe start 5 speed swap into EA81.And then....hehe..