Ultimate Subaru Message Board

getting facts straight before installing clutch pak lsd in new gen

oooo

I have a 97 impreza obs with abs and am suppose to get my rear clutch type lsd installed this weekend and I have a few questions that need to be answered first.

I have a 88 lsd diff that is going to be installed. The rear diff gearing has already been swapped to 4.11 to match the 4.11 legacy outback trans I installed. I have gotten axles from a 94 legacy because they will fit the stub type diff. The junkyard has one listing for the axles, doesn't seem to matter if its has abs or not.

Here are my questions.

1. Are the 93-94 legacy rear abs axles and non abs axles the same or are they different. I thought that abs axles had a tone ring on them, but these 94 axles don't and the rear axles on my 97 impreza don't have a tone ring either.(maybe 98 was when they started using the tone ring).

2. If these axles are right, does that mean the rear abs sensor is mounted in the hubs?

3. Can any rear diff fluid be used as long as it has a lsd additive added with it?

4. Would synthetic fluid be the best for the rear diff? From reading the forums I know I should stay away from royal purple. What are your opinions on stuff like castrol, mobil 1, or valvoline. I know redline is best but I can't get any right now and will switch to that next diff fluid change.

5. Will any regular lsd additive that they sell at advace auto work.

6. How much additive should I use. I believe 1 bottle of additive and the rest diff fluid, should be enough. Or is it better to get a fluid with the additive already mixed in?

Thanks in advance