Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000-2004 Legacy Outback ??

So does anyone know if you can fit 3 car seats in the back of 2nd gen outback?

I need it to fit one infant forward facing seat (middle) and two boosters on either side.

I am hoping that it will, I don't want to have to go Volvo route but they have 3rd row seats.

-R

I have a Gen 2 OBW and although I'm past the infant/child carrying stage, I don't know why it wouldn't meet your needs, although mine does not have the LATCH system which I understand facilitates such seats. Not sure when that became standard equiptment in Subarus.

Edited by J A Blazer
clarify

Yes with a big exception:

Not all brands of seats will go 3 across...even in a late model volvo wagon. (We've owned a couple of volvos.)

To go 3 across, we took the arm/handle thing off of the infant seat and 3 fit across. All were made by graco...without the frills like cupholders. Find the 3 slimmest seats and you'll be good. Measure your backseat area across and go buy the seats that'll fit that width. They'll think you nuts when you show up at the baby's r us with a tape measure though.

Yes with a big exception:

Not all brands of seats will go 3 across...even in a late model volvo wagon. (We've owned a couple of volvos.)

To go 3 across, we took the arm/handle thing off of the infant seat and 3 fit across. All were made by graco...without the frills like cupholders. Find the 3 slimmest seats and you'll be good. Measure your backseat area across and go buy the seats that'll fit that width. They'll think you nuts when you show up at the baby's r us with a tape measure though.

Yea I was thinking Volvo because of 3rd row seat, I know they are not wider than a roo back seat. I won't change the baby seat, it is big but the safest made.

Tribeca FTW

I would but they don't fit into my 0 depreciation roo methodology. I have never lost any $$ on any of my Subaru purchases. I buy them, fix them up, drive them for a couple of years then sell them for more than I initially purchased them for. But maybe a Tribeca in few years...... :grin: