Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The lock on my driver's side door has been binding lately. I'm worried I might have to replace it, and I really don't want to have to do that. I'd like to try some lubricant, but I am avoiding WD-40, graphite is messy, and I don't know how well silicone would stay in the lock. Any other ideas, or maybe opinions on why any of the above three lubes might work? Thanks!

I would opt for the graphite, that is what we use in our safety locks at the place I work at. I don't remember the name but it came in a spray can with the little straw attachment. WD40 will draw dust and dirt making the lock eventually worse, an automotive silicone that NAPA sells that does not get hard works pretty goods as I have used that on my 87 Brats driver lock.

I don't know if it is available in your area, but I have used Rust-Check in the same situation. It displaces moisture. (You may have ice issues.) It is a very light oil, so it does lubricate some. It will probably pick up some 'dust and dirt', but how much should there be on the inside of your lock cylinder?

Is it the lock tumbers? Or is the linkage sloppy or messed up? Can you tell?

Commuter

Originally posted by Commuter

Is it the lock tumbers? Or is the linkage sloppy or messed up? Can you tell?

Commuter

It feels like the tumbler. I have a spare key in my wallet, and when I have to use it, it does the same thing. My regular key just started doing this now too. It's not as bad, but you can tell the lock is binding, it's not the linkage. Anyway, I'll see if I have any graphite in the garage. I should be able to get in, now that my Dad's finished fixing the rear diff in his 96 dodge :D

Do you have another key in your family for that car? If so try it, you said their is a different between the two keys you now have, if another key works well have one made from it. Keys wear down more than you might think, my sons pickup door was doing the same thing yours was but my key worked great so I had a new one made for him from my key and now his problem is gone. I had tried graphite and lite oil on his door lock before we found out it was the key.

What's funny is that I inadvertently tried your method. I used the key that works to make my copy. What is screwy is that the original works better than the copy! Weird, guess I should have gone to a different place. In any case, I'll try the lube up, and if that doesn't work, then...

I live with it until I get $$ flow again. College money vacuum services suck. Literally.:boohoo: