Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just finished changing passenger axle, shifter linkage, and header studs/nuts...

It was my first time working on a Subaru and it took about 4 hours all together. I started by taking the complete exhaust system off in one piece, removed the half-shalf, reinstalled the half-shaft, taking the exhaust heat shield off belowe the shifter linkage, removing the shifter linkage and replacing with new piece, then finally getting the thing put back together. Not too bad.

I'm glad I went to sears and bought the long punch set.

Also, getting 3 of the header studs out of the heads were HARD! I had to use visegrips and clamp them down with all I had in order to get it to grab and turn the stud.

When I reasembled the exhaust, I put anti-seize on the header studs and nuts so if I ever have to take it off again, it shouldn't be too bad.

All in all, it wasn't that bad.

Sorry, had to brag.

Just wondering, how much would it have cost to do that at a Subaru garage with parts and labor?

I'd say you have a right to brag! You tackled a couple of jobs that can be very frustrating to say the least--and did them in excellent time. Congrats.

Saved yourself hundreds of dollars. plus you have the satisfaction of "a job well done." Now you're hooked!!!