Ultimate Subaru Message Board

For Shame... and Giggles

I will gladly admit that the GM ABS system leaves something to be desired. They've improved it greatly, but 2000, and prior vehicles definitely don't feel "comfortable". That being said:

DITCH THE ABS

I've done so on many GM ABS equiped vehicles. It can easily be done by unplugging a front ABS sensor. The ABS light stays on, but, who cares. Cover it with a sticker.

If you really feel strongly about ABS, as I do, then don't use it. I hate ABS. So, I remove it from the equation.

By unplugging the ABS sensor lead from even just ONE of the ABS sensors, the earlier systems are rendered useless. I simply unplugged (the lead has a pigtal located up in the wheel well, running under the lip of the inner fenderwell towards the rear of the wheel well) the one on my S10, and it will lock up all 4 tires now, IF I want it to.

Give it a try. My stock brakes were good after I did that.

*EDIT!!!!!!*

I want to make clear that this should only be done by competent, experienced drivers, and that they should; following this excercise, find a safe place to get used to the vehicle's characteristics without ABS. Someplace remote, and big....

Don't worry about the competent driver factor, I've driven as my job for the last 2 years, in all kinds of weather.

I'm experienced to say the least :-p

I would go through with that, but having the ABS has been somewhat of a blessing as I often have 2 wheels in the gravel and 2 on the pavement.

The vibrating pedal can be irritating, but I'm learning to live with it.

It's just no Subaru, and that's my biggest complaint.

Twitch

You know you should be seeing a lot better then 18 mpg tops unless your driving really fast. our blazer gets a minimum of 20 and upwards to 23 on highway driving.

True, but I deliver mail, aka the stop and go driving from hell.

So I'm lucky to get 17 Out of anything I drive, be it a Subaru or a Blazer.

And if I drive it around town normally, I can maybe eek 20 out of it.

It is a 4000+lb rig, so I can't expect too great of gas mileage doing what I do.

Twitch

i have a diesel blazer that gets 25 mpg. it got rolled but other then needing the starter wired up it runs awesome and is street legal. im looking to sell it pretty soon if you are or know anybody interested in getting it. Motor only has 40,000 on it and tranny has less then 1,000 sense rebuild. i also may sell my jeep soon if you know anybody interested in those.

• 2 weeks later...
Im not here to compare apples to oranges... i know the blazer is nothing like my 4runner.

We dated for 5 years. The truck never had a problem with its engine, it was just a horrible ride. The suspension was far too soft, it felt like driving in a water bed.

That is my only complaint.

And again, 3eyed can go ************ himself, twitch have fun with your new ride.

Sounds like you have animosity over the girl more than the car. end of story.

screw 4runners and blazers, i got the 69 GMC stake side. :lol:

Sounds like you have animosity over the girl more than the car. end of story.

screw 4runners and blazers, i got the 69 GMC stake side. :lol:

True that.

Gimme a 69 Fleetside Chevy K3500 with a 502, corporate 14 bolt rear, DANA 60

front, 35's and paint it mud brown, cuz its never gonna be any other color :grin:

But alas, I'll never have the money to afford that because my subaru's will eat

my money long before then.

Plus I gotta build my EA81TT before I try anything too crazy outside of the

realm of Subaru.

Twitch