Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello, from me and my Brat!

Hi! I recently was gifted my mom's business car: a 1980 Brat. :clap: It has a cheap paint job with peeling piano key decals on the side, but it runs, for the most part. :-\ Right now it's in need of a new steering wheel and shaft, but once those aren't in danger of going out on me at any time i'll be able to drive it again! :)

I took an auto shop class in high school, but I'm really not that good at the terminology or knowing really anything about what i'm doing, but I really really want to learn! So, if anyone has suggestions on sites or books to start me off, that would be awesome!

Here are pics of my love. Please don't mind the upside down and broken camper top, it's the wrong size and my mom bought it and never used it. (I think like that it makes the car look like mercury or something. :-p )

I'm excited to be here!

brat11.jpg

brat21.jpg

Like I said, it was my mom's business car. She tuned pianos. :) I'll get more pics up in the next couple days. The interior is nothin special, just kind of falling apart with badly sun faded seat covers and lots of brown.

I wish it had jump seats, and I'm planning on getting some when I get the mechanical stuff worked out. :-/ I figure I should be able to drive it as my main car before I decorate.

Well if your looking for any little parts and pieces for the interior let me know. I know I have a door arm handle in brown and a dome light cover as well. Post what you need in parts wanted when your ready. We have a lot of people here with extra parts that are willing to help usually fairly cheap plus shipping fees. Let us know....

I love the vintage stock look to these gen 1 brats. Check out mine in my photo album under New Brat. I have to update pics since I now have the rear jumpseats installed along with the seatbelts and original bed carpet as well. You going for a stock look or are you going to modify??

Check out mine in my photo album under New Brat. You going for a stock look or are you going to modify??

Your 'New Brat' is so sleek! I like it.

One of the repairs I need to make on mine is that the engine fan is practically gone, so I pretty much need a new engine. I've been thinking about dropping a turbo somethin in there, but I'm not sure yet. That'll probably be the last thing I do since it runs pretty much great otherwise. Body-wise, I'd like to spiffy up the rims, but I do like the stock 70's/80's look to the body and the paint. I'll probably give it a better paint job, not sure what kind yet, but right now it leaves white residue on your hand when you touch it.

Really right now I'm just worrying about the stripped steering shaft and wheel. Then I'll at least feel safe driving it, and then I can think about fun stuff.

Know any good places to get a steering shaft? I found one place, but I'm not sure it's legit at all. (Link when I get home to my own computer.) I'm planning on posting a new thread just for this on the tech board, but not tonight. :-p

Nice BRAT and Welcome to USMB!

My best advice is to buy a Factory Service Manual off ebay. You'll want on that cover the 1600 from '79 or '80. THey can be had for about $50 or less. it will be HUGE and have some Great exploded diagrams of Everything on your car and will include wiring diagrams as well.

Like this one: 1980 Factory Service manual

• 2 weeks later...