Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fixing windows and windshield

True2Blue

I noticed one day...

I was trying to buff out a scratch from sand under the wiper blade on my wifes windshield. It wasnt working so well so i gave it a rest the next morning it was raining when we went to the store there was a NICE new looking strip where i had buffed the glass. the water beads up real nice and its crystal clear. Reason why im posting is because I didnt notice the windshield was so bad its an 03 jetta.. ill post pics but i used the same tools as i did on this CLICK THIS

Put short it clears up you glass like new

No i have not. The 3M compound spreads fast and easy and does such a good job i haven't had reason to look elsewhere have you used a clay bar?

I haven't either, but I've been meaning to. Detailers say it does wonders on glass. It sounds like the same basic thing you're doing, though.

AFAIK, there's only one product out there that will get a full-on scratch out of glass. It's designed to be used with an angle grinder, and it can heat up your glass and shatter it, if you're not careful.

Jacob

the next time the matco guy comes around (tuesday) ill be picking up a variable speed buffer for detailing. im using a cutoff tool and a micro cloth, its a bit fast for paint and tends to fray the cloth fast.

i watch a few youtube videos of glass repair with an angle grinder and 3 different scratch pads..

You'd be surprised by the difference just putting some regular wax on the windows will make.

There is also a good product for removing acid rain spots, that works very well and quick for polishing glass. I don't recall the name of it off-hand though. Comes in a plain white bottle with green lettering.

anybody know how to get etching (tree sap holes) out of a windshield?? my 86 has a bunch of them

That angle grinder setup is the only thing aside from a new windshield. It's not easy to remove glass. You could try some kind of filler, but it would wash away quickly.

Jacob

anybody know how to get etching (tree sap holes) out of a windshield?? my 86 has a bunch of them

Must be some serous tree sap. I don't think I've seen sap eat into a wind shield before. Can't imagine what that stuff must do to paint. :eek: Usually a razor blade cuts it off easily and the glass is fine underneath.

Did you remove the sap and the spots were left behind? Rubbing alcohol is good for removing sap, even the dried on stuff.