Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fixing windows and windshield

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 True2Blue

True2Blue

SU<3ARU

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • Belfair WA

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:45 AM

I noticed one day...

I was trying to buff out a scratch from sand under the wiper blade on my wifes windshield. It wasnt working so well so i gave it a rest the next morning it was raining when we went to the store there was a NICE new looking strip where i had buffed the glass. the water beads up real nice and its crystal clear. Reason why im posting is because I didnt notice the windshield was so bad its an 03 jetta.. ill post pics but i used the same tools as i did on this CLICK THIS

Put short it clears up you glass like new

#2 renob123

renob123

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 719 posts
  • Hillsburrito, OR

Posted 15 October 2010 - 04:14 PM

Have you used a clay bar on your windshield before? If so, how does your process compare to that?

Jacob

#3 True2Blue

True2Blue

SU<3ARU

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • Belfair WA

Posted 15 October 2010 - 04:24 PM

No i have not. The 3M compound spreads fast and easy and does such a good job i haven't had reason to look elsewhere have you used a clay bar?

#4 renob123

renob123

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 719 posts
  • Hillsburrito, OR

Posted 15 October 2010 - 04:34 PM

No i have not. The 3M compound spreads fast and easy and does such a good job i haven't had reason to look elsewhere have you used a clay bar?

I haven't either, but I've been meaning to. Detailers say it does wonders on glass. It sounds like the same basic thing you're doing, though.

AFAIK, there's only one product out there that will get a full-on scratch out of glass. It's designed to be used with an angle grinder, and it can heat up your glass and shatter it, if you're not careful.

Jacob

#5 True2Blue

True2Blue

SU<3ARU

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • Belfair WA

Posted 16 October 2010 - 12:48 AM

the next time the matco guy comes around (tuesday) ill be picking up a variable speed buffer for detailing. im using a cutoff tool and a micro cloth, its a bit fast for paint and tends to fray the cloth fast.

i watch a few youtube videos of glass repair with an angle grinder and 3 different scratch pads..

#6 renob123

renob123

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 719 posts
  • Hillsburrito, OR

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:35 PM

i watch a few youtube videos of glass repair with an angle grinder and 3 different scratch pads..

Yeah, that's the thing I was thinking of. It seems high-risk to me, but I don't use an angle grinder very often.

Jacob

#7 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,932 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:37 PM

You'd be surprised by the difference just putting some regular wax on the windows will make.

There is also a good product for removing acid rain spots, that works very well and quick for polishing glass. I don't recall the name of it off-hand though. Comes in a plain white bottle with green lettering.

#8 Subruise

Subruise

Official Party Pooper

• Members
  • 1,477 posts
  • pierce county

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:35 PM

anybody know how to get etching (tree sap holes) out of a windshield?? my 86 has a bunch of them

#9 renob123

renob123

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 719 posts
  • Hillsburrito, OR

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:39 PM

anybody know how to get etching (tree sap holes) out of a windshield?? my 86 has a bunch of them

That angle grinder setup is the only thing aside from a new windshield. It's not easy to remove glass. You could try some kind of filler, but it would wash away quickly.

Jacob

#10 Subruise

Subruise

Official Party Pooper

• Members
  • 1,477 posts
  • pierce county

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:08 PM

ya its lookin like PAP time pretty soon. then i can fix the only rust on whitey while the windshield is out

RV

#11 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,932 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:38 AM

Must be some serous tree sap. I don't think I've seen sap eat into a wind shield before. Can't imagine what that stuff must do to paint. :eek: Usually a razor blade cuts it off easily and the glass is fine underneath.
Did you remove the sap and the spots were left behind? Rubbing alcohol is good for removing sap, even the dried on stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users