Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Binding issue

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 hawksoob

hawksoob

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 18 April 2004 - 08:25 AM

Also, as for whether or not I can tell if there's a steering problem, ie PS not really working right ... it's hard for me to really tell. I got so used to my old Geo Prizm and 8 years of rack and pinion, that power steering is sort of alien to me. If there's a difference from when I bought the thing 2.5 years ago and now, it's subtle at best.

#27 hawksoob

hawksoob

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 20 April 2004 - 04:25 PM

Yesterday, I bought some cheap Coastal brand ATF Dextron stuff from Autozone. Topped off my P/S fluid reservoir, as per the leak. Went for a long drive of about 50 miles today. Got home and did a couple of slow, extremely sharp right hand doughnuts in the back yard. No binding. Smooth and easy turns.

Once I get the leak fixed and have that bushing replaced at the dealer this weekend, and get fresh fluid in there, I'll go for another long drive and see what's what... Test it again. Would be very nice if a leaking P/S hose is the only problem, instead of having to replace the center diff. :-\

#28 vladhed

vladhed

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Ottawa, Canada

Posted 06 January 2006 - 12:11 PM

Update:

In September I hit 192,000km and as part of the maintenance schedule had the tranny fluid flushed and the tires rotated. The result? The problem is gone - I no longer have binding after long highway drives. Don't know which change solved it, but the tire that was on the front passanger side had un-even wear due to my driving with a bad ball-joint for too long. So it could have been the tire rotation that help as well (keep both axel speeds the same).

Also, after all the snow and ice and now living in rural area, I know that the VCD still works coz I got stuck the other day. After about 5 seconds of the right front wheel just spining on I could feel the torque slowly being transferred to the rear as the VCD started to bind, until finally the car moved and I was out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users