Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1997 Auto Transmission Problems

2: All the time(but sparatic): Motor acts like it wants to stall out, shifting to neutral or park causes it to idle normal. Shifting back to Drive or Reverse brings it down to 250ish RPM. Have to goose the gas to go.

Hate to break it to yah, but you have worse problems than your magnet.. If money is an issue i would look around for a Subaru enthusiast backyard mechanic (like me, but im too far) that has a few of these with blown headgaskets, and see if hell give u a deal on parts and labor.

One thing is for sure, that transmission will never be reliable again. Sorry.

• 4 years later...

1. not that this is in question , but TZ102Z2CBA is a 96 outback auto trans with the 4.44 final drive ratio. TZ102Z2DBA is an outback auto trans 97-98 w/ a 4.44 final drive.

2. DO NOT, repeat DO NOT run the trans dry of fluid. it can severely damage it. even if you are not driving the car.

3. do what you want, but dropping the pan will gain you nothing, NOTHING, there are no serviceable parts in side the pan that will improve the way the car drives. if the trans had a specific issue, then maybe, you could address some internal part and help it. but, as a scheduled service event, DON'T DO IT. multiple drain and refills by the trans fluid pan drain plug, with driving around the block while manually shifting into each gear will accomplish the same thing and is less work.

4. if you do drop the pan , only to learn that you have wasted your time, be sure to use a good quality gasket maker when you re-install.

John, Do you know if I can use transmission TZ1A3ZB2AA-P5 for my Subaru Outback 2.5, 1997??...if not, you know which can be used?...thanks for the help guys!

José Luis

From Chile, South America

if I can use transmission TZ1A3ZB2AA-P5 for my Subaru Outback 2.5, 1997??
at a glance, NO.
the TZ1A3.... id# does not match the TZ102... which is in your car.

having said that, i am not 100% sure.
i'm not sure your car has the TZ102..... trans. you would have to tell me.
i'm not sure what car uses the TZ1A3... trans. i would have to look it up at

do you know what year forester the trans came out of.