Ultimate Subaru Message Board

front and rear wipers dead

Going over Alleywagon '04 with a fine tooth comb last nite, getting it ready for the road. Realized it has no wipers - front or back.

Checked the fuse. It was ok. Washer pump on the same circuit and it worked. It was getting late and I didn't have time to get out the test light, schematics etc.

I suspect the intermittant control/relay, but I don't recall if both front and back run thru the same circuit. Anyone recall from memory how this circuit works?

John

Well John, I guess we are all suppose to know this "Awagon" is your 1992 Pontiac Lemans station wagon,

If so ????

If it just happens to be a 198? Subaru

the front and rear wipers do not both go through the timer module. Only the front and the front washer do.

They both do operate off of fuse #16

but the power to both is shared by both washer pumps.

General Motors is known for poor switch gear though?

Sorry I couldn't help.

John,

I've had front wiper issues before with Soobs that have not moved in a long time. It seems that the motors "seize" from lack of use. I just turn the switch on (high) and move the wipers by hand. As soon as they "break" loose, they continue to work just fine.

If this is not your problem, you'll need to check for power at the wiper motor and troubleshoot from there.

Sorry Skip, I thought I landed on the "Older Generation" Subaru page. To my knowledge, these wiper systems are essentially alike on "Older Generation" Subarus. The car is an 89 GL Turbo AWD A/T. Do you need the VIN# too?

Ok, so apparently both wipers do not pass thru the module on "Older Generation" Subarus. That's helpful....

Noah, your theory makes sense. Both motors could conceivably be seized, given the condition of the car. As you saw when you stopped by, the car has had a dubious past.

I will certainly do the proper diagnostics later when I get home. I don't have the luxury of an FSM in front of me since I'm at work now. Thanks for the input.

John

Sorry you took offense John, but

it is considered common courtesy to give the year

and car in question as there are some differences in the

different series.

This minor info could also help someone else with a similar problem on their car, if it is the same or similar car.

Good luck, hope it is just froozen gears or motors.

Skip, no offense taken - no offense intended...

As far as the wiper problem, this was a wierd one. After looking at the schematic, it became clear that the fronts and rears were completely independent systems. The fact that they were both out was purely coincidental.

Voltage present at both connectors, so could BOTH motors really be out??

Turns out the rear motor WAS shot. I noticed that the motor housing was hot to the touch when the juice was on. My guess is that it got hung up (frozen to the winshield perhaps) and tore up the innards. Easy fix!!

The front motor stumped me for awhile. I actually solved this one by accident. I realized it was improperly grounded when layed something across the motor and chassis, and it sparked. I took the motor off cleaned it up a bit and reinstalled. Another easy fix!!

Noah, I wonder if this is what happened to yours too. Maybe it wasn't grounding, and when you moved the wipers, the movement completed the circuit.

An interesting learning experience for sure. Thanks for the input.

John