Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

85 front strut vs newer front strut

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bratclay

bratclay

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • Portland,OR

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:57 PM

I have a 85 GL that im working on. I also have a set of 88 front struts that arnt adjustable like the 85's. The question is are there any differences in height between the two.
Like is the adjustable one all the way down the same height as the non or all the way up the same height or halfway the same???????

Thanks for your help subi gang.

Clay

#2 ruparts

ruparts

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 563 posts
  • dallas, tx.

Posted 19 February 2011 - 08:09 PM

hi,
on the ea-82 series there are 3 height variations, 4x4, longest, 2wd mid, and xt shortest, this is measure from the spring perch to the stop on the nub that goes into the steering knuckle, each is about an inch different. i am not sure if any ea-82 had the adjust , i thought only the ea-81 had that feature, one way to tell is the ea-81 has the coil spring centered on the strut , all the ea-82 had the spring offset on the strut at the bottom spring perch.

#3 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,983 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:00 AM

85 and 86 EA82s had the adjustables.

I put them in my '88, adjusted all the way down they seemed about the same as with the stock struts. and then I went up an inch from there.

#4 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:18 PM

hi,
on the ea-82 series there are 3 height variations, 4x4, longest, 2wd mid, and xt shortest..

As Numchux wrote, and the OP mentioned, the 85 and 86 (IIRC, only the 4WD) had adjustable spring perches, and later ones didn't.

#5 bratclay

bratclay

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • Portland,OR

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:50 PM

85 and 86 EA82s had the adjustables.

I put them in my '88, adjusted all the way down they seemed about the same as with the stock struts. and then I went up an inch from there.

Thanks Numbchux, Thats what I was wondering if all the way down was the same height as the non adj strut. That means Im goin to keep the 85 strut and swap it for the non adj with a 2" block. Cuz im selling the car.
Thanks Clay

#6 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 8,824 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:58 PM

I'd take a functional(i.e. actually has dampening ability) non adjustable over a blown out adjustable any day.

Any Original 85 or 86 strut is surely blown by now.

Save yourself the work if your just selling it. Not worth keeping 26 year old struts.

Get some GR-2s

#7 bratclay

bratclay

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • Portland,OR

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:28 PM

Very true.

Thats what I want to get for my brat and my girls loyale. Is a complete set of kyb gr2 struts all the way around.

I have a set of RX front springs that Im goin to be using for the brat. I just need to get gr2's now so I can install them.

Do you know can you or not, run king springs on sec gen subi's? Plus where to get them?

Thanks Clay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users