Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 Outback Transmission Question

Hello All,

I just bought a 2000 Outback Sedan 2.5L with a bad trans. My question is I have found a decent deal in a trans from a 2001 Outback.

1. Will it work?

2. Direct bolt in?

3. Any components that will can/need to be swapped to make it compatible?

Thanks in advanced My 1st Subaru so my knowledge limited atm.

Kidd

Edited by kiddo

Hello All,

I just bought a 2000 Outback Sedan 2.5L with a bad trans. My question is I have found a decent deal in a trans from a 2001 Outback.

1. Will it work?

2. Direct bolt in?

3. Any components that will can/need to be swapped to make it compatible?

Thanks in advanced My 1st Subaru so my knowledge limited atm.

Kidd

it should be a direct swap with no problems as long as both are 2.5L engines and both are non-turbo. the 6 cylinder and or turbo may have a different final drive ratio. so you ought to double check. look under the ''TRAIN'' heading for 'individual differential' (and check the ring and pinion or gear set ratio) once you get that far with the link below: (i'm pretty sure they are both a 4.44 ratio and that would be the only possible difference.)

http://opposedforces.com/parts

Edited by johnceggleston

Currently reverse is out. My aunt took it to our local Subaru dealership, and they informed her that the trans had a hole in the housing and leaking fluid and was not reparable. Personally I have not even looked at the trans to see if there is an actual hole or not. I drove the car home yesterday around 18 miles.

Reverse is just like neutral does not attempt to pull at all. Forward gears seem fine. Anywho figured I'd just throw another trans in and be omw. Found one locally out of 2001 for $600?

Edited by kiddo

Bump to the top.

OK I have another question. I just spoke the salvage yard with the trans. He is telling me that the numbers listed on the trans sticker (TZ1A4ZCDCA-RN) have to match or the trans will not work? When I questioned whats the difference he said the plugs were different and would not plug up? Can any anyone shed some light on what the difference might be? The trans I am looking to buy is from an 2001.