Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

When was the first year of the 3rd generation Outback?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 eryque

eryque

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:29 PM

I'm seeing some sources that say that 2003 or 2004 was the first year of the Gen III, and some sources (sometimes the same sources) that say that 2004 was the last year of Gen II.

Was Gen III introduced midyear? I'm so confuzzled. :-\

#2 J A Blazer

J A Blazer

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 365 posts
  • Fairfax, Virginia

Posted 10 March 2011 - 06:59 AM

The first model year of the Gen III was 2005. They would have become available probably during the summer of 2004.

#3 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,835 posts
  • WV

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:38 AM

good resource is cars101.com, a subaru specific site, while it includes another generation, it distinguishes 05 as the new year, here's the section on 05 outbacks:
http://www.cars101.c...utback2005.html

#4 eryque

eryque

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:18 AM

I'd seen that link before. Thanks for the info.

It looks like a 3rd generation Outback is going to be out of my price range, then.

#5 AWDFTW

AWDFTW

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Chicago, IL

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:10 PM

In the US it breaks down as follows:

1995-1999 1st Gen
2000-2004 2nd Gen
2005-2009 3rd Gen
2010 - Present 4th Gen

Rest of the World is different however.

#6 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,931 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:40 PM

I'd seen that link before. Thanks for the info.

It looks like a 3rd generation Outback is going to be out of my price range, then.

The 2000 model year ones are a real bargain right now, I wouldn't be discouraged by this.

#7 brus brother

brus brother

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,883 posts
  • Connecticut

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:20 PM

The 2000 model year ones are a real bargain right now, I wouldn't be discouraged by this.

Having owned a 2000 Legacy GT AT, the issues I can report were the delayed engagement in the AT and of course the external head gasket leaks that can be cured by feeding Subaru Leak-No-Mo to the radiator. I did love that car though...

The first model year of the Gen III was 2005. They would have become available probably during the summer of 2004.

I've learned that the rental companies would get the 05 in Feb/March 04. I bought a used 08 that had gone into service with Hertz in Feb 07.

#8 eryque

eryque

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:55 PM

The 2000 model has the DOHC phase I engine, which is almost guaranteed to need a head gasket if it wasn't done already.

If I found a really clean one really cheap I might look at it, but my experience with 10+ year old cars is that even if the drivetrain is good, everything else is getting worn out. Doors don't seal, windows get a little wobbly, they rattle like a maraca going down the road...

That's what my '98 Impreza is like now, and it's how my '96 was in 2007. Trying to get something a little newer.

#9 eryque

eryque

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:59 PM

Didn't the 2000 models have the Phase I DOHC engine with the headgasket problem?

I'm getting conflicting information everywhere I read.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users