Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Easy Transmission Front Seal Replacement

Excellent write up!

I have ordered the front seal for my tranny along with the two drive-axle stub seals.

I assume you need to remove the lower shaft and the differential to get at the left hand stub seal - is there any special re-install "gotcha's" about putting the diff and lower shaft back in???

Cheers!

Steve

There is a pin in the case and a matching hole in the pinion bearing......must line them up when reinstalling the lower shaft.

the upper shaft has a similar setup on the bearing that supports the front part of the shaft.

must get those lined up or it all won't fit back toghether

There is a pin in the case and a matching hole in the pinion bearing......must line them up when reinstalling the lower shaft.

the upper shaft has a similar setup on the bearing that supports the front part of the shaft.

must get those lined up or it all won't fit back toghether

Cheers, I had that noted about the top one so if the bottom one is the same, that's no biggy.

Just need to take all four bolts out of the lower shaft bearing retainer, then the shaft lifts out followed by the diff?

Then after changing the seal, simply replace the diff and lower shaft, making sure the dowel is aligned with the hole in the bearing???

Sorry to pester but want to make sure all bases are covered before taking something apart :)

Steve

Cheers, I had that noted about the top one so if the bottom one is the same, that's no biggy.

Just need to take all four bolts out of the lower shaft bearing retainer, then the shaft lifts out followed by the diff?

Then after changing the seal, simply replace the diff and lower shaft, making sure the dowel is aligned with the hole in the bearing???

Sorry to pester but want to make sure all bases are covered before taking something apart :)

Steve

Oh and just one note: Don't follow my lead and assume that the rear cover is this - it isn't :rolleyes: It is the flat piece of metal on the top...

TrannyResealandClutch009.jpg

I suppose it is a COMPLETE new gasket set - lucky that is what I have on the way from 1stsubaru parts....:)

Steve

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK all,

I have just received my trans re-seal kit from Subaru - loads of washers and seals and stuff...

Question is - after I change out the four external axle/driveshaft seals, are there any other seals I can easily replace while the tranny is in bits?

I'm thinking the shift selector external seal????

I have loads of bits - just wonder where they all go?!

Steve

I replaced the shift selector seal when I did mine. It's really easy if you have the tailshaft housing off of the trans already. Sand down the rust on the selector shaft before you slide it back into the new seal. I coated the shaft with anti corrosive grease to help prevent further corrosion. Petroleum jelly also works well for that and is easily available.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE AND ANOTHER TIP!!!!

Well, I now have the two front tranny halves back together

Lessons learned by me..

1) You can actually bolt the lower shaft bearing retainer on upside down if you have taken it off completely to replace the front axle-stub seals

Don't do this yourselves people!! Its hard to tell its wrong until you have the two halves back together (sealed with rtv in my case ) - make sure you spin the retainer round 180 degress if its wrong - best option is to check by test-fitting the two halves together (without rtv ) and make sure all 4 bolt holes line up.

2) That bearing retainer thin metal gasket/spacer thing is a PITA! It makes getting your 4 bolts back in awkward - I sliced open my thumb trying to turn it so a bolt would go in.

3) The ring that front diff roller bearing rides on fell of the side of my tranny when I was knocking the old seal out - no probs - just put it back in carefully (tight fit). I thought I had messed something up at first because there was a lot of play in the pinon-diff (it would knock when turning the axles stubs back and forth) until I had all the tranny bolts torqed down properly. Again, not a prob but it scared me a little.

All in all, it took me about 3 hours to get those halves back together - Gonna tackle joining the rear half back up next!

Steve

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

When I drop my tranny and open up the cover plate I will make sure I will post a clearer picture of whats show in the above picture.. It's still hard for me to make out what I'm looking at. My camera has a super macro mode so I can go as close as 2 inches :eek: